Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

T-shirts

From: "ROSSI J.A." <rossi@nusc.ARPA>
Date: 28 Jul 86 14:46:00 PST
Subject: T-shirts

reasonable (in terms of design) silk-screened shirt can be done in
quantities of about 25 min. at a cost even less than $6-$8.  In actuality,
the greatest cost is in the actual fabric/construction quality of the
shirt itself.  The silkscreening process, a one shot deal, can usualy be
amortized amazingly cheaply even over a run of 25 shirts.  One possibility
for lowering the cost on the silkscreening side is to have the work done
my handicapped work force groups.  My wife has been a director/area co-
ordinator for various Mental Retardation groups for about 10 years now.
In that time, I remenber her setting up silkscreening operations at some
of the facilities she managed.  Since the idea in those type situations
is an accentuation of people's worth along with small marginal profits, these
type groups will often do a low volume run (under 100 shirts) at a cost
equivalent to what a real business might impose for a large run item (1000+
shirts).  Since we (Love-Hounds) seem united in supporting the 'little guy'
this may be a chance to contribute to society as well as our own personal
vanaties.  As far as complex designs go, the major technical difficulty
is in the production of the mask (especially for multi-coloured designs).
I personally have friends that are into doing silkscreens and may provide
the labor at an attractive rate considering the nature (non-profit) of this
venture and especially if we allowed the screening to be done by some
handicapped or disabled group.  I am definately in favor of the T-shirt
concept, however, I also agree that I am against an I heart Kate type of
design.  I also agree, that the notion of Love-Hounds should appear on the
shirt (if for nothing else than an edge against any legal questions concerning
the rights to Kate Bush momentos by EMI or whover owns the rights to such
things).  Then again there is always the permission angle.  At any rate,
we should find out about such legal ramifications before we actually start
production on a shirt.  If the shirt was fashioned as A. Marvick suggests,
from my limited experience, I think we are in the clear as long as the
quote from Kate is, in fact, a quote, and is acknowledged as such (which
would, of course, be the whole point anyway).  I also like the international
angle.

As for a group get-together, lets not decide on St. Louis as a compromise
location.  For that matter, let's not go to the midwest at all.

John
------