Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

babble babble, babble

From: The weenies are everywhere.... <wicinski@nrl-cst.arpa>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 86 23:31:20 edt
Subject: babble babble, babble

>labels.  More stats, you ask?  Let's rummage through the last 10
>LPs I bought and check the labels: Alpha, Rough Trade, MCA, Rough
>Trade, el/Cherry Red, Mercury, Cartel, Palladium, Tandan and Wax
>Trax.  I only see 2 major labels there.

I have a collection of everything JD baby writes in the post, from his
blasting england synth bands (which I liked and would shake his hand for
it) to his articles on 'Genesis stioll rocking'.  Yawwnnnnnn...

I call a major label anyone who charges list price (8.98 or similar) for
an album.  Homestead and Enigma are major labels, as are Rought Trade,
and the Cartel.  Skate Punk Hardcore, you have re affirmed my belief in
you sue.

>As for sending out free records to critics, what the hell's wrong
>with that?  All the critics I know buy tons of records and review them
>as well, but say that critic A has never heard of band B or seen their
>record in the shops.  Band B's label send critic A their latest LP.
>Critic A loves it and writes a glowing review.  It happens, you know.

We pay for it. The consumer that is.  Which is why the american indie
labels sell there records for cheaper than list price cause they don't
send that many promos out.

My feeling is that the big record labels are trash.  critics are trash.
we are trash. everything is trash.

I think that Fripp's idea of "small, mobile, and intelligent" (actuall
Bennet's) should be applied to record labels.  What I would like to see
is a collection of small labels which put out bands that live in the
same area as the label (Ace of Hearts, Dischord, and Rabid Cat come to
mind as prime examples).  These labels can concentrate on local artists,
and releasing albums with little publicity.  The resulting products can
be sold for a cheaper price, since most other expenses could go away.
Also I can't see why record companies be non-profit. Most operate like
that anyway due to reality.

I also don't see too many big critics reviewing any cassette releases ???
too much pressure from the record industry ??

>Ooh, how cutting.  I've seen the Morning Glories, and found them not
>to my liking, I'm afraid.

I forgot, they opened for mr. hitchcock.  Did you buy a copy of the
fanzine they were selling, Greed ??  If you want to put out a fanzine,
there's a place to look for a prime example on how to put out a WELL
prepared zine.  Nice graphices, typeset nice, pictures you can see,
cartoons, and great fiction.  only 1.50.  most zines you see will be shredded
pieces of xerox.