Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: SSUD3%UK.AC.SUSSEX.VAX2@AC.UK
Date: 25-MAY-1986 16:21:21

I hope I'm not entering into the CD/LP wars too late,
but the arpanet gateway in London has been down for a while,
and I only just got the postings today.

The only point I wanted to make was that, apart from all the
technical pros and cons that were pointed out, one function that
the CD provides is RELATIVELY much better audio for the AVERAGE
LISTENER.  What good are transient frequencies or whatever to a
person who normally listens on a Tandy tape deck? (Hope there are
no Radio Shack employees out there!) Ultra-audiophile systems
are great for those who can afford them, but for the rest of us,
CD's provide "a lifetime of listening pleasure" or whatever that
crappy slogan is on the back of the WEA packaging....

On the other hand, is there any truth to the rumors that the plastic
used in the discs themselves will self-destruct after 10 years due
to smog/atmospheric conditions, or what have you?  Or is this
just another viscious rumor spread by the LP proponents?

Paranoid in Brighton,

Hugh