Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Not knowing Robert Palmer was bad enough, Doug... but THIS.....!!!

From: Joe Turner <cutter%umass-boston.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
Date: Mon, 12 May 86 09:41:31 edt
Subject: Not knowing Robert Palmer was bad enough, Doug... but THIS.....!!!

Assuming you are being serious, Doug-chan...

Jaques Brel was a rather famous French pop musician during the 50s and 60s. His
music was more in the folk vein than anything, and his songs were usually
brilliant, very mood-evoking, and always beautiful. He had a nice mixture of
love songs, political songs, and always had a good sense of irony and humor.

During the 60s, his songs were translated into English and presented as a
musical revue called ``JAQUES BREL IS ALIVE AND WELL AND LIVING IN PARIS'',
which was a phenomenal success.  In fact, "If We Only Had Love" was one of the
songs to actually hit the charts from the show/album.

If you have the bux, BUY THE ALBUM! If you understand French, DON'T BUY THE
ALBUM and get his original French discs. The words in English, while absolute-
ly wonderful, are sometimes not what Brel originally wrote. But, to get used
to him, I suggest buying the "ALIVE AND WELL" album. It also has a nice bio
of Brel in it.

There is also a film of JBiAaWaLiP which I saw a number of years ago (mid- 70s
or so) late at night on channel 2 in Boston. Being about 8 years old at the
time, I don't remember much about it except that it was a little disjointed
(i.e. vignettes, no plot) but well-done. It features the same people who were
in the broadway show.

Jaques Brel was a brilliant musician, and it was a great loss to the musical
world when he died in the mid-70s. So it goes...

Later.
				Save your parity bits for big cash prizes!
						Joe

PAPER: Joe Turner, 329 Ward Street, Newton Centre MA 02159
SOUND WAVES: (617)/969-5993
CSNET: cutter@umass-boston.csnet
ARPA : umb!cutter@csnet-relay.arpa
UUCP : {decvax,ima,linus,sri-unix}!cca!ringwld!cutter

(Thanks to the folks who reviewed Scritti's "Songs..." for me!)