Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Tommy Keene

From: Ranter cum Barbarian <hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 86 12:12:24 EST
Subject: Tommy Keene

Well, Doug asked who this dude was and I thought Sue would
answer.

Tommy Keene released some noticable rootsy/VU type stuff on some
indie labels and recieved alot of local fans in his area (Baltimore -
Washington).  His music was fairly unoffensive tripe and it was
obvious to me that he would sell out when the majors realized he
wasn't much of a threat.  Sure enough, Geffen picks him up and
he releases a boring album.

I read an interview with him in the City Paper and true to form, he
hemmed and hawed at all accusations of selling out and instead condemned
his old fans and the indie music scene.  For more of this, see the
article on that Texas wanker, Charlie Sexton in this months Spin.

(There's also a "scene" report on Baltimore.  Don't believe everything
you read, though.  People can still walk around Baltimore without
fear of getting killed for no reason or at least not more than any other
large U.S. city.  There are, of course, certain areas to avoid like
Washington, Boston, L.A., S.F., etc etc ...)

hip-hof