Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Sledgehammer

From: Joe Turner <cutter%umass-boston.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 86 15:08:12 est
Subject: Sledgehammer

WFNX just played it. Oh boy...

"If you want a steam train, you gotta have tracks..."

It's a turn from the last album. Whereas with PG4 he got African, now he's
doing more of a Motown sound. Horns predominate the song. The beat of the song
is a simple one - no Ekome here! It is VERY reminisicent of early funk.
Lyrically, he's gone down in quality. This is not to say it's a bad song; I
found myself really getting into it. It's just not what I would expect from
Gabriel.

With these faults, it still has the Mark of Gabriel on it. After a
minute or two, it really began to grow on me. I can't wait for the
album, due out next month. WFNX announced the title as _So_, but then
added: "Then again, it may very well NOT be titled _So_, because
Gabriel titles all his albums _Peter_Gabriel_.." Duh. Speaking of
which, I noticed the import CD of PG4 has a copyright date of 1978 on
it! Woops.

Overall, I liked the song, even though it is a lowering of Gabriel's
generally high standards.

			"I want to be your sledgehammer!"

				Save your parity bits for big cash prizes!
						Joe

PAPER: Joe Turner, 329 Ward Street, Newton Centre MA 02159
SOUND WAVES: (617)/969-5993
CSNET: cutter@umass-boston.csnet
ARPA : umb!cutter@csnet-relay.arpa
UUCP : {decvax,ima,linus,sri-unix}!cca!ringwld!cutter