Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Sledgehammer

From: nessus (Doug Alan)
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 86 17:15:27 EST
Subject: Sledgehammer

"Well, I woke up this morning"...

to the sound of my clock radio, which had been blaring WBCN for the
last few hours into my unconscious mind.  I woke up when the DJ said
"And in a few minutes we'll hear the new single by Peter Gabriel.  Our
music director says it's the best song of the year!"  So, I burst out
of bed, twiddled the dials on my stereo, slapped on the ol'
headphones, and awaited impatiently.  Finally, after several torturous
minutes, "Sledgehammer" was broadcast into my ears!!!!!  And.....

Well, remember those rumors about Peter Gabriel wanting to become
really popular?  Well, uh..... maybe they were right....
"Sledgehammer" sounded a lot like a cross between Phil Collins and
Prince.  And there is a big horn section and female backup singers.
Let's say I'm not blown away....

On the other hand, the first time I heard KB's "Running Up That Hill",
I was incredibly upset.  I ranted to my roommate for hours about Kate
selling out and going disco, and how could she do this to me, etc.,
etc.  Eventually, I got to like it, but didn't think it was Kate at
her best.  More recently however, I have begun to like it more and
more.  Now, I think it's a complete masterpiece, and up there with her
very best.  I hope a similar change in perception occurs with
"Sledgehammer".

			"I'd hammer in the morning"

			 Doug

P.S.  WBCN said the name of the album will be "So".