Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Dial MTV

From: FULIGIN%UMass.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU (Peter E. Lee)
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 86 18:47:46 EST
Subject: Dial MTV

RE : Dial MTV
     When I finally got through (around 11:30 EST), I had the same problem
  with the operators needing to write down the artist and video names.  It
  really makes me wonder how things are organized.  My impression was that
  they keep a list of 'new' videos which they expect to be voted for, and
  probably don't even bother to count anything they have to write in.  Oh
  well...  You know the same 'Motley Crue' video has been number one every
  single day that they've had the phone lines?  (At least two months!)
  either they've got a lobying group with Demon Dialers, or the teenage, MTV
  watching populous has even less taste than I credited them with...

RE : The Art Of Noise
     Having had a copy of the new album to listen to for about 3 weeks now,
  I feel well enough acquainted with it to write a review...  The album is
  called "In Visible Silence" (on Chrysalis in the US, China in the UK) and
  features 11 tracks, including the two singles - "Legs" and "Peter Gunn".
  'IVS' is, without a doubt, the most consistently listenable AON album to
  date.  Unlike 'Into Battle' and 'Who's Afraid Of', every track is pretty
  readily recognizeable as music (no criticism of the earlier works intended).
  The production is flawless, but (understandably) less lush than it was
  when they were working with Horn and Morley at ZTT.  The focus musically
  is on creating atmospheres and moods, using sampled voices and 'found'
  sounds, in addition to more 'traditional' instruments.  Standout cuts -
  "Opus 4" : a very Philip Glass-esqe piece, built around a small series
  of alternated phrases spoken by the female group-member (the name escapes
  me).  "Instruments Of Darkness" : the Art Of Noise comment on apartheid,
  and "Peter Gunn", the old Henry Mancini tune, featuring the CLASSIC guitar
  twang of Duane Eddy (yes he's still alive, and no, they didn't just sample
  his guitar from somewhere, he really plays on the track).  For me, the
  least worthwhile track on the album is the first single, "Legs", which
  really sounds like an attempt by the band to re-create the success of
  "Beatbox", without really trying.  Speaking of "Beatbox", there are no
  versions of either it, OR "Moments In Love" on IVS (yeah!) - perhaps a
  result of having left ZTT (remix heaven).
     On a scale of 0-10, I'd give it an 8.  Not the best thing since toast
  on a stick, but definately worth checking out.

                                   Space Antlers For Peace,
                                          -Peter Lee
Fuligin%UMass.BitNet@WISCVM.ARPA
(413) 549-6332