Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate Bushopathy

From: J. Peter Alfke <alfke@csvax.caltech.edu>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 86 18:07:22 -0800
Subject: Kate Bushopathy

Y'know, I'm a pretty thoughtful guy, and it takes a lot to turn me into a
slavering anti-intellectual popster, but I fear that Our Lord of the TROFF
Macros, Andrew Marvick, has just done exactly that.

    IT'S ONLY ROCK & ROLL!!  IT'S ONLY ROCK & ROLL!!  IT'S ONLY ROCK & ROLL!!

Hasn't this person read the amazing Kate Bush / Doug Alan interview?  That
wonderful conversation illustrates far more clearly than I ever could the
perils of overwrought analysis:

	DA:	Kate, in "The Dreaming", doesn't the word "Kanga", used also
		partly for the effect of a word whose only vowels are 'a's
		(the first letter in the alphabet, re-iterating the motif
		of this being the first song on side two (the symbol of
		the cosmic duality inherent in all things)), also reflect
		on the Kanga character in Winnie-ther-Pooh, just as Eeyore
		appears later in the album, and Tigger was the harmonizing
		motif to most of "The Kick Inside", while also satirizing
		your record company as a bunch of stuffed animals and, in
		fact, relating your recording career to the storyline of
		"The House at Pooh Corner" ??????

	KB:	Um, Doug, well, er, Kanga actually just means a kangaroo.
		A kangaroo hitting the bonnet of the van.  It's about
		Australia.

(Not really from the interview, but it could have been.)

Now, Doug, you're a nice guy and I do like you, but that interview had
me and all my friends rolling on the floor.  This is the hazard of being
a trufan.  Andew Marvick, however, is fast threatening to eclipse you,
both in hysteria and volume . . .

						--Peter Alfke
						  alfke@csvax.caltech.edu
"What do you call that noise
 that you put on?
 THIS IS POP, yeah yeah
 THIS IS POP"
		--XTC

PS: Andrew, does your installation have \TeX?  It would make your stuff
    \it{much} more readable if you used it$\ldots$