Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

random responses

From: hsut@ec.purdue.edu (Bill Hsu)
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 86 15:29:05 EST
Subject: random responses

Re: the Great Kate Conspiracy

	Sorry, fellow Kate fanatics, I didn't call MTV because I was
frantically running errands before heading out of this hole for an
interview... I've had bad experiences calling video stations for requests.
We get this obnoxious MTV look-alike here on university cable (it's free,
so there!!) called Hit-video USA (puke) from Texas. They run a request
line at weird times (e.g. early Saturday morning) so I called them
one day, actually got thru on the second try, and asked for any Art of
Noise videos, either Close to the Edit or Legs. Never got played...
I have seen them play Legs, but they must have decided it was too
unpopular or something. I should try calling again sometime and yell
at them for being MTV clones, then request Butthole Surfers or something...

Re: "alternative" radio

	Are there any good alternative radio stations in the midwest that
might be receivable in Indiana? Apparently there's a small station
about 50 miles south of here that gets the Spin concerts, but I haven't
been able to get it. We do get wimpy excuses for alternative radio
from Chicago on cable, WXRT and WBMX. XRT is pretty conventional
these days but does have "The Big Beat" on Fridays where they'll play
new Cramps, Church, the Fall etc. BMX is big on dance mixes, but they
never tell you what they're playing, and most of their stuff is fairly
obscure or mucked up by the dance beat. Some clever stuff with the mixing,
tho... One of the dorms around here, Cary (that's the place that runs
the nude olympics, folks), apparently has some interesting shows, but
they're not accessible to non-residents.

					Bill Hsu