Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

CDs, Bootlegs, Drugs, Depeche Mode, Gabriel!

From: Joe Turner <cutter%umass-boston.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 86 16:02:26 est
Subject: CDs, Bootlegs, Drugs, Depeche Mode, Gabriel!

So far on CD, I have seen:

  GENESIS - Trespass
* GENESIS - Nursery Cryme
* GENESIS - Foxtrot
  GENESIS - Live
* GENESIS - Selling England By the Pound
  GENESIS - A Trick of the Tail
  GENESIS - Seconds Out
  GENESIS - ...and Then There Were Three
  GENESIS - Duke
* GENESIS - Abacab
* GENESIS - Three Sides Live
* GENESIS - Genesis

( * means I bought it )

Both _Nursery_Cryme_ and _Foxtrot_ are EXCELLENT QUALITY for records done
on a tiny budget in early 1970's England. There is virtually NO hiss. _Sel-
ling_England_by_the_Pound_ has NO hiss that I can tell. _Abacab_ and later
are standard CD quality. I'm wondering what _Live_ and _Seconds_Out_ sound
like on CD, so I suppose I shoudl grab them before Atlantic comes into the
store and takes 'em off the shelf... which many record companies have started
doing with imports.

{} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {}

By the way, my message from about two days ago concerning bootlegs was a CC:
to this list in response to a query from someone about them.. I though the
list might care about them...

{} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {}

Drugs: Since when has talking about drugs been acceptable? Since when are drugs
acceptable? I don't care if people have incredible religious experiences while
tripping, I just don't like being told that I'm pond scum if I don't listen to
music while on drugs or see concerts while on drugs. This list is about MUSIC,
not drugs. If you can't listen to music without taking drugs, as someone
pointed out, that's really sad.

{} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {}

Speaking of MUSIC, I picked up the "Stripped" single from Depeche Mode. The
a-side, "Stripped", is pretty slow and heavy, sorta like playing "Master
and Servant" or "People are People" at 33-1/3. The b-side, however, is a
nice poppy song called "But Not Tonight" which sounds more like a "normal"
DM song, though it's a little happier than most. In fact, my mother (who just
walked in as I'm listening to said song and typing this) would not talk to me
until the song was over - she was too busy dancing to it!!! She's weird, tho.
Hell, she went to see Yes with my brother and I...

``Oh god, it's raining
  But I'm not complaining
  It's filling me up with you, life.
  The stars in the sky
  Bring tears to my eyes
  They're lighting my way tonight.
  And I haven't felt so alive in years.
  Just for a day
  On a day like today
  I'll get away from this constant debauchery.
  The wind in my hair
  Makes me so aware
  How good it is to live tonight.
  And I haven't felt so alive in years.
  The moon is shining in the sky
  Reminding me of many other nights,
  But they're not like tonight.
  Oh god, it's raining
  And I'm not containing
  My pleasure at being so wet.
  Here on my own
  All of my own
  How good it feels to be alone tonight
  And I haven't felt so alive in years
  The moon is shining in the sky
  Reminding me of so many other nights
  With my eyes being so red, I'd been mistaken for dead
  But not tonight...''

			Depeche Mode, "But Not Tonight"

{} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {}

Oh yes...

	     IIIII TTTTT '''  SSS    H   H EEEEE RRRR  EEEEE   !!
	       I     T    '' S   S   H   H E     R   R E       !!
	       I     T    '  SS      H   H E     R   R E       !!
	       I     T        SSS    HHHHH EEEEE RRRR  EEEEE   !!
	       I     T          SS   H   H E     RRRR  E       !!
	       I     T       S   S   H   H E     R   R E
	     IIIII   T        SSS    H   H EEEEE R   R EEEEE   !!

			      ******************
			      ** SLEDGEHAMMER **
			      ******************

The NEW PETER GABRIEL single is being released this Monday!!!!!!!!!! It's
called "Sledgehammer"!!!!!!!!!! The 7" has a b-side called "Don't Break this
Rhythm"!!!!!!!!!!  The 12" will have "I Have the Touch" on it, too. The album
from whence it comes, still rumoured to be called _Good_, will be released next
month! Zowie!

Later.

				Save your parity bits for big cash prizes!
						Joe

PAPER: Joe Turner, 329 Ward Street, Newton Centre MA 02159
SOUND WAVES: (617)/969-5993
CSNET: cutter@umass-boston.csnet
ARPA : umb!cutter@csnet-relay.arpa
UUCP : {decvax,ima,linus,sri-unix}!cca!ringwld!cutter