Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Resp. To Doug

From: "ROSSI J.A." <rossi@nusc.ARPA>
Date: 8 Apr 86 13:10:00 PST
Subject: Resp. To Doug

Jesus, Doug, you shure are sensitive concerning matters Katie aren't you.
I just stated a fact, and one which I personally found interesting.  I
imagine your emotional response to the original posting was similar to
the one you had when you first realized that you were conceived by a
presumably normal means of procreation.  God help the world if Kate
suggested that she might like Madonna, but such an event is unlikely since
everyone knows that Ward Cleaver never used a bathroom and that Marie
Osmond never had a sexually perverse thoughgt in her life.  Anyway, what
I said was that the vocal inflections in one Madonna tune I heard on
a, POP, station reminded me of Kate.  Notice, I am not talking dance
rhythms, vocal frequency range, femaleness, race or body weight.  I am
not suggesting that Kate and Madonna sound alike (although this is a
possibility) but that their voices are similar (extending into vocal
ability).  Note being a white, female soprano does not adequately
describe all white, female singers who happen to be sopranos.  Judy
Collins does not sound like Cindi Lauper, any more than Eddie Arnold
sounds like Tony Bennett.  Think timbre, and stop letting your gonads
do your musical appreciation for you.

On another matter, I second Chris Lishka's suggestion as to open up
discussion on erotic music.  This would be interesting, given what
appears to be the predilections of various people who communicate here.
However, I feel that there are at least two subdivisions of this
question. A)Total eroticism leading to strong sexual urges, fantasys,
orgasm etc. and B) Sensual eroticism increasing sexual awareness and
interactions with a co-listening partner.

MY picks :

Category A: The Current Nestles White Chocolate Commercial (music and
            video).

Category B: Larry Fast's Synergy "Sequencer"

------