Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Wurthering Heights: A Pop Myth

From: "Joseph J. Mankoski" <PSI@OZ.AI.MIT.EDU>
Date: 6 Apr 1986 16:51 EST (Sun)
Subject: Wurthering Heights: A Pop Myth

Hi:
	For those of you around the Boston area, this week you have a
chance to see an interesting application of Kate Bush's stellar music
to a suitably bizarre situation.  The occasion is a modern
interpretation of Wurthering Heights, perhaps inspired by KB's song of
the same name.  The actual title is: Wurthering Heights: A Pop Myth,
and it is being presented by the Harvard-Radcliffe Dramatic Club at
Harvard's Loeb Drama Center near Harvard Square.  It is playing from
3-Apr to 14-Apr, and the shows(at least on Friday night when I saw
it), are at 8:00pm.  Tickets cost $4.00-$5.00.
	This production is in the style of Total Theater, including
multimedia and a little audience participation.  The plot seems to
stay true to the book, though the whole thing is told through rock
music.  Besides Kate Bush, the music comes from such galactic *stars*
as Ricky Lee Jones, Wham, and (Doug Alan's favorite) Madonna.  Though
many of you may be put off by this(as was I, at first), the poppishness
of the music contributed to the(humorous) effect of the play.  I mean
/really/!  Just imagine Catherine becoming Madonna as she achieves her
fame and fortune with Edgar Linton....  Well, I was temporarily amused
in any event.
	This is not a must-see, but if you have the time and are into
experimental drama, then you might enjoy it.

				Ultimately Yours,
					Joseph J. Mankoski ***PSI***
					<<psi@ai.ai.mit.edu>>
"And never get out again."