Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Another Day

From: nessus (Doug Alan)
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 86 15:09:33 EST
Subject: Another Day

> From: lishka@puff.wisc.edu (Christopher Lishka)

>    -Group: This Mortal Coil
>    -Songs: several on the album It'll End In Tears
>    -Remarks: the way I see it, this album is about the beginning and end
>	       of a relationship.  The first track on second side (sung by
>	       the lead singer of The Cocteau Twins) is not only one of the
>	       saddest songs I can think of, but also one of the most
>	       beautiful (just her voice with violins in the background.

This song is a cover of 'Another Day', which is originally by Roy
Harper, and it's the song that got me into Roy Harper.  I originally
heard it being sung as a duet between Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush.
Roy's original, is the best of the lot, however -- though all the
versions are great.  The strange thing about Liz Frazer's version is
that the song is from the point of view of a man talking to a woman.
And Liz hasn't changed his.

> Kate Bush Question
> ------------------

> My question is this: can anybody tell me what she is singing about
> in Cloudbusting?  It sure sounds like an incestous relationship
> relationship with her father (I know it sounds strange, but others
> at the house feel the same way).

That's what I thought!  Until someone gave me a xerox of a chapter
from "A Book of Dreams" a biography by Peter Reich.  Then it became
clear that the song was based on this.  This has all been discussed
before, so I'll only give a brief summary.

The song is sung from the point of view of Peter Reich as small boy.
His father Wilhelm Reich was much harrassed by the FDA because they
didn't like his inventions, the Cloudbuster and the Orgone
Accumulator.  Cloudbusters would make it rain, and Orgone Accumulators
would replenish one's Orgone Energy.  Florescent lights (and
glow-in-the-dark yoyos) are bad for one's Orgone Energy.  It turns it
into Deadly Orgone.  Eventually the FDA threw Wilhelm in jail, where
he died shortly thereafter.

			"I still dream of Orgonon"

			 Doug