Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Movie sountracks, depressing music, etc.

From: lishka@puff.wisc.edu (Christopher Lishka)
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 86 20:30:39 cst
Subject: Movie sountracks, depressing music, etc.
Newsgroups: mod.music

	This is my first time posting, so please be kind (don't flame me
to badly).

Movie Soundtracks:
-----------------

	I have been looking for a couple of soundtracks for quite some time, and
wonder if somebody could tell me whether or not the following soundtracks even
exist:

1) The soundtrack to "The Coca-Cola Kid":
	This movie had a few songs written and performed by Split Enz's
	Tim Finn (I know, not the most avant-garde of performers, but
	the songs were pretty catchy, especially the satiric "I Don't
	Want to go Where There's No Coca Cola") who also had a small
	role in the film as a 'Musician-for-hire.'  There was also some
	other interesting background music.  This film is directed by
	the same man (whose name escapes me) who directed Montenegro
	and is a good movie to stick in the 'somewhat weird' category.

2) The soundtrack to "Desparately Seeking Susan":
	The music in this one had a lot of good oldies in it, and I
	heard some synthesizer ramblings in the background which
	I would like to have.

If anyone can tell me if these soundtracks exist or else where I could find out
if they exist, I would be very thankful.

Depressing Music
----------------

Disclaimer: I feel that the same music will produce different moods depending
     what you are feeling before you listen to song, so this list may not be
     everyone's most depressing music (although it sure gives me the blues!).

     -Group: Orchestral Maneouvers in the Dark:
      Songs: Julia's Song, Crush, many songs off of their second and third
	     albums ("Architecture & Morality" ; I can't remember the
	     name of the other one)
      Remarks: Crush really sums up the mood of depression in a rain storm
	       ("I can't stand this f*cking rain") whereas Julia's Song is
	       both sad and powerful.  The two albums I've listed have a
	       disturbing tone to them; Architecture & Morality is sort of
	       down and the other makes one feel really shitty about the
	       world in general (has an intro to a song which talks about
	       a young girls hands being cut off at the wrists by Somoza's
	       guards...how cheery!).  I suppose the lyrics could be called
	       trite (did I spell that right?), but there is not much better
	       'synth pop' around.

     -Group: The Dream Syndicate
     -Song : When You Smile (off of Days of Wine and Roses)
     -Remarks: although I've not heard that much of The Dream Syndicate,
	       this song ranks up there.  The chorus goes:

			When you smile,
			I don't know what to do
			'Cause I could lose everything
			In a minute or two,
			And it seems like the end of the world
			When you smile.

	       Play that for the one you love.

     -Group: This Mortal Coil
     -Songs: several on the album It'll End In Tears
     -Remarks: the way I see it, this album is about the beginning and end
	       of a relationship.  The first track on second side (sung by
	       the lead singer of The Cocteau Twins) is not only one of the
	       saddest songs I can think of, but also one of the most
	       beautiful (just her voice with violins in the background).
	       This album contains a lot of different styles of music, ranging
	       from regular songs with electric guitars to instumentals with
	       acoustic string instruments.

     -Group: UB40
     -Song : The Pillow
     -Remarks: this one's about a prostitute who slits her wrists on
	       a white bed while day breaks.

Kate Bush Question
------------------

	After hearing her latest album incessantly around my house for the last
three months, I'm am proud to say that I am a Kate Bush fan (althoufh HOL is the
only album I own).  My question is this: can anybody tell me what she is
singing about in Cloudbusting?  It sure sounds like an incestous relationship
relationship with her father (I know it sounds strange, but others at the
house feel the same way).  Lines like "Oh god Daddy/I won't forget", "Your son's
coming out", and "I can't hide you from the Government" sure make it seem like
the father is being carted away for carrying on a sexual relationship with his
daughter.  I realize that this may have been answered before and I missed it,
so don't flame too harshly.

			"Living in another Cuba!"
						XTC

						Thanks,