Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Madonna and Chaos

From: Chris J. Valas <cv%linus@mitre-bedford.ARPA>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 86 09:51:24 est
Subject: Madonna and Chaos
Posted-Date: Fri, 4 Apr 86 09:51:24 est

Joe sez:

>Shelli writes:
>
>>I like Duran Duran, too, Joe, but usually only when I'm out
>>dancing, or in a particularly wild mood.  I'm not sure that they
>>have an overwhelming amount of "musical integrity", and I wouldn't
>>put a poster of them on my wall.  What was the last huge hit they
>>had that had such a neat video?
>
>Well, now we're getting into semantics. What do you consider "musical
>integrity"? I like DD because of the quality of songwriting and production
>values. Simon Le Bon really *can* sing, and the group has a knack for writing
>very catchy and infectious songs when they want to. They can also come up with
>songs that evoke very strong moods while also being great to listen to ("The
>Cheauffer" comes to mind). Most people think Madonna is crap, but I can listen
>to her stuff because I like the intricasies of the song(s) as a whole. Same for
>DD, their production and engineering makes most stuff look like crud. Maybe
>I'm a sucker for high production values, I dunno.

Duran Duran?  Madonna?  Production values?  Personally I don't give a
damn if LeBon can sing Sinatra's dick off, Duran Duran's whole career
is a "production".  These guys are the Bay City Rollers of the 80's.
As for Madonna, I suppose she can sing, and she certainly peddles her
twat with the best of them, but really, I think this posting simply
demonstrates the all-pervasive nature of music's lowest common denom-
inator -- commerciality.  Doug, you've been invaded....

Entropy 1, Love-Hounds 0.

Mark sez:

>Re: Abba
>
>I've never liked this group, even though Robert Fripp insists that they are
>"very, very good" at what they do.

Fripp is a precise man and meant *exactly* what he said.  ABBA really
are "very, very good" at what they do.  It's just that what ABBA does
happens to be shit, and what they are "good" at is creating it.

Quite a compliment.

Speaking of Fripp (and worthwhile music), I heard he was travelling
with a pack of neophyte guitar disciples who are learning the Fripp
method and performing with him live.  Does anyone know where they are
or what's happening?

No artifice,

Chris J. Valas         {decvax,utzoo,philabs,security,allegra,genrad}!linus!cv
			or.... linus!cv@mitre-bedford.arpa
-=-