Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

paisley underground?

From: James B Hofmann <hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 86 14:11:37 EST
Subject: paisley underground?

I thought that term had been buried in ridicule last year.  I mean all these
people look kind of funny saying they're in the Paisley Underground as they
sign up with CBS, Atlantic and the indie-biggie - IRS (not to mention Enigma).

I don't know - I prefer to call it like rock, you know? The type of music that
wasn't being made during the early 70's AND "couldn't" be made (or at least
marketed) in the late 70's when everyone had to be either punk or some sort
of gimmicky new wave act (and we all know that "the pose" at that time was
to denigrate the 60's).  With the rise of independent labels that can stand
on their own - some of these groups got a chance to get their stuff out.  The
"lost" bands can be found in the Battle of Garages comps (notable among these
were the Vertabrats).

I've already mentioned Couch Flambeau - they seem to be an example of, well,
rock but you should also keep a lookout for Great Plains - who take a while to
accustom yourself to; they play a sloppy form of hardcore meets power chords
(without any metal pretentions).  However, my fave (currently) of this "whatever"
sound (call it Bang Bang music if you will) is Dinosaur who put out this LP
on Homestead in 1985.  It takes all those Southern phrasing and puts REM to
insipid shame.  Grant it, they aren't as "accesible" as REM but if I did
hallucagenics, I'd prefer this over those Athen's warblers or Husker Du anytime.

then of course there's Green River or Samhain if you're into a harder, metalish
sound.  And what's so wrong with that?  (greg earle?)

"Hit me with your rhythm stick - Hit me! Hit me!"
music news you can abuse:  George M. has left Wham! after learning that the
group had been bought out by the same concern that owns and operates Sun City.
Van Halen's new album, 5015, is named after Eddie's studio and a police term
for something dirty.  Led Zeppilin is reforming.  In-A-Gadda-Da-Vita makes an
excellant compact disk.  The Jesus and Mary Chain fuck, er, suck.