Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

:tcejbuS

From: Susanne E Trowbridge <umcp-cs!jhunix!ins_aset@seismo.CSS.GOV>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 86 14:32:33 EST
Subject: :tcejbuS

***
Lene Lovich and her hubby, Les Chappell (the bald guy in her "Lucky
Number" video), had a baby, which probably explains Lene's lack of
output lately.  They gave the child a very odd name.  Tarzana, or
something like that...
***
Ah, pop.  I think overplay is a big problem with me.  Say there is
a song that I am indifferent about when it is released (i.e.,
"Walking on Sunshine.").  One of two things will happen when I hear
it repeated ad nauseum on the radio, in record shops, on the street,
etc.  I will either grow to like it (examples -- "Raspberry Beret,"
pleasedon'tlaugh "Careless Whisper") or despise it immensely ("Wake
Me Up Before You Go-Go" can turn me into a raving lunatic...)
Strangely enough, I tend to grow tired of songs I like that make it
big.  "People are People," "Be Near Me," "Everybody Wants To Rule
The World," etc.  It's the rare song that can attain top 40 fame
and still hold my attention -- well, "Running Up That Hill" or
"Hounds of Love" (is it a smash yet?) !!
I really don't think I'm a "music snob."  Geez, I have records by
Abba!  (Of course, I'm Swedish so maybe that excuses it.)  Still, I
would rather have seen Tears For Fears, a group I've long been fond
of, at the 9:30 Club than at the Baltimore Civic Centre with six
thousand screaming thirteen-year-olds...
So there, all my secrets are out.  I promise to write a long article
about the virtues of Mark Stewart and the Maffia as penance.
***
Yes, Lovecat, the Jesus and Mary Chain live are about as exciting as
that video you saw.  To simulate the concert experience, buy an issue
of NME or Melody Maker with them on the cover, play "Psycho Candy"
at a very loud volume, and look at the picture.  They're about that
lively.  Of course, looking at the picture will be better 'cause they
play with their backs to the audience.  Oh yeah, you can only listen
to one side of the LP because they never play more than 20-30 minutes.
***
The Housemartins are great!  I especially like the touch of putting
a blank white box on the back cover of their "Sheep" 12" so that you
can write in your 1-to-10 rating of the record!  Another group in a
similar vein is The Big Dish, who do sort of lush Prefab Sprouty
pop minus some of the pretensions...
***
KATE BUSH RUMOR!!!!!!!!!!!  Just heard that KB and David Bowie might
do a US tour together in '87.  I laughed it off, but I thought I'd
let you know.  I heard this from one of the DJs at my station who is
a rabid KB fan.
***
Sue