Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Howarth, AON, and MTV

From: FULIGIN%UMass.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU (Peter E. Lee)
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 86 15:14:29 EST
Subject: Howarth, AON, and MTV

A couple of replies, and a proposal :

RE: Matt Howarth and Regressive Aid -
     Howarth's 'Post Brothers' is now being published in B&W comix form at
 odd intervals by Canada's Vortex company.  It's a sickly humorous romp
 through a science fiction universe with lots of gratuitous violence thrown
 in for fun.  If you were going to read one thing by Matt Howarth, however,
 I would suggest "WRAB", a B&W graphic novel about a pirate TV station that
 takes over the world media and shows programs that force people to be
 creative and make their own choices.  I really loved it.  In all of his
 work, Howarth seems to be fond of making references to obscure but good
 movies and music.  Reading the bookshelves and record sleeves he throws into
 his comics is almost as much fun as the stories...  As far as Regressive
 Aid goes, they have only one album out, to the best of my knowledge, which
 can be ordered from Howarth.  I don't believe he's in the band, I think he
 just likes the music.  We have a copy at the radio station I work at (WMUA
 Amherst), but I've never sat down to listen to it in it's entirety.  I'll
 get to it someday I'm sure...  Anyway, what I have heard was avante-funk
 new wave (great term, eh) of the sort popular around the late 70's, early
 80's.  The band members have apparently long since gone hard-core and hate
 the album.

RE: The Art Of Noise version of "Peter Gunn"
     An interesting cover version by an interesting band.  They managed
 to dig up Duane Eddy somewhere to play the guitar lead (what a classic
 guitar twang!) and then threw in the usual AON percussion and sampled
 chorus.  I like it alot better than "Legs", and listen to it fairly
 frequently, but the remix is just plain too long, and the production seems
 too sparse since they left ZTT (not too surprising really).  Look forward
 to a new AON album soon, as well as a live tour at least in England.
 They plan to use about 7 extra musicians on the tour, in addition to
 the three band members (1 female, 2 male, I don't remember their names),
 so it should be pretty interesting...

A proposal for fans of alternative music :
     Why not use the power of the combined readers of Love-Hounds to change
 the programming of MTV, and put in a good word for Kate at the same time?
 Every Monday-Friday, from 11am-12noon, MTV has a dial-in request line, the
 top 10 vote-getters from which, they play at 6:00 that evening.  If everyone
 who reads this file were to call in on some agreed-upon date, and request
 the "Cloudbusting" video, I bet we could get it played.  At the very least,
 it might make Kate's name show more prominently in their request sheets,
 which might lead to slightly improved rotation.  Any opinions?

                                             -Peter Lee

(413) 549 - 6332
Fuligin%UMass.BitNet@WISCVM.ARPA

---