Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Semantics and such ...

From: ia-sun2!smeagol!earle@csvax.caltech.edu (Greg Earle)
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 86 16:19:08 pst
Subject: Semantics and such ...

I got a note from Fu-Sheng which made me realize that maybe we're talking
about different things here.  Maybe when you folks out there say this is
a "depressing song", or this is "depressing music", maybe you *really*
mean "this is music about a depressing subject".  For instance, it could
be said that (e.g.) The Cure's "Funeral Party" or "Hundred Years" or
"The Hanging Garden" are *lyrically* about "depressing subjects"; however
there is a big difference to me between something that is about a depressing
subject and music that makes one depressed, which is what I think when I
hear the term "depressing music".  To me there is a big difference in
meaning depending on the semantics, and this should be cleared up.  Shit,
it's easy to look at Joy Division's "Dead Souls" and "Atmosphere" as being
incredibly morbid, given the lyrical content; meanwhile the Sordide
Sentimentale single that contains them is still the greatest 45 I have ever
heard in my life, and hearing either song instantly inspires me.  So no
wonder I scratch my head when I hear this "depressing music" term thrown out.

Hey Mitch, how about maybe some of us hate the majority of music because of
the motivation behind it (or lack thereof).  Most popular music is made
for the sole purpose of lining the maker's bank account, not for artistic
impression.  A hell of a lot of musicians are out there attempting to *make
a career* out of the music *business*, and in order to make a career, it
is necessary for them to "play the game".  Which means making records that
pander to the audience, rather than making records to satisy one's creative
urges, and a "gee-that's-really-great-that-someone-likes-it-too" attitude...

LoveCat, if you saw my record collection, you'd see I'm the last person
that needs to have an "open mind".  Fer instance -
- I totally agree with your assessment of the Red Lorry Yellow Lorry LP
- Same for the JaMC video.  Yes, they are *visually* boring in concert (I
just saw them two days ago), but this time around they *played* much better
than the first time (Hmm, I wonder if going from a crowd of 100 to a crowd
of 1500 had anything to do with it ... :-) and I love their music as well.
- I own every PiL record (same "This Is What You Want ...", I bought
"Commercial Zone" instead) up to the present incarnation.  Therefore I feel
like I have a right to complain.  I think "Album" is FAR worse than
"Flowers Of Romance".  It was a challenge to Levene and Lydon to make an
album that depended on "lead" drumming to fill the vast void left by Wobble's
departure.  I also quite like the quasi-Eastern feel of it.  There was a
CHALLENGE in there, and I think they responded well.  There is no challenge
at all in playing retread HM riffs with session hacks.  I don't want him
to retread "Public Image"; he can't, the band is no longer the same.  It's
just that the other records were always innovative, and stylistically
varied, now it may be *different*, but it's *regressive* rather than
progressive.  Call me a New Old Fart, but HM is still HM is still crap to
me.  I won't go to these clubs that think it's so f***ing hip to play
Bauhaus and Siouxsie and then follow it with Aerosmith, Dead Zep, mid-70's
Stones, Motley Crue ("Crue, dude!") (maaann); like as if suddenly
"we're all one big happy Rock N' Roll family, erm, sorry about all those
things we said about you in '76-'77".  Fuck that shit.  (Flame off)
Johnny The Emperor has No Clothes ...

Peter Lee is right on with his assessment of the new Pete Shelley 45.
However, he failed to mention the flip, "Designer Lamps" which is a wild
and wierd instrumental, much more in line with what I expect from Pete ...
You probably don't know that Pete has a side line of records that he puts
out very sureptitiously, with no vocal tracks at all (!!), that are really
amazing and wonderful. If any of you get to New York City, go to 99 Records
(99 MacDougal St.) and go up to the proprieter, Ed Bahlman.  Whisper in
his ear about "secret Pete Shelley records" and you shall be enlightened ...

Anyone else out there reminded of Gen-X crossed with Devo when you hear
SSS' "Love Missile L1-11"???

Sorry, Sue, but I haven't seen the original "Burning Blue Soul" in ages.
Considering how it came out in '81, 'tis not surprising.  The cover's
great - A psychedelic eye dominates the cover (kinda like an earth-tone version
of 13th Floor Elevator covers), with a negative-image of Matt J. standing
inside the pupil.  The title is written above it in blobby "Rubber Soul" type
letters.  What little I've heard of the newer one (I don't own it) sounded
like a tarted up remix to me, you know, take the spacey elements down and
mix up the accessible; add a pinch of new commerciality, etc.  This is
kind of vague, but ...   Oh, BTW my friend (who had the presence of mind to
see Exec Slacks w/ us) took off to Palm Springs the day before College Youth
In Desert Riots Shock Horror Film At Eleven with 50 hits of Ecstasy with him.
Hope he didn't get busted, or there goes my supply!! %-?  (<-- Me on Ecstasy)

You Know It's The End Of An Era When:
- Your records from the Post Punk daze are suddenly considered Collector's
Items and are worth $$$.  Some random examples from a record swap meet of
current prices for oldies of mine:
- Cure "Killing An Arab" on Small Wonder - $25
- Siouxsie "Hong Kong Garden" Japanese (w/ strange picture drawing cover) $60
- Siouxsie "Hong Kong Garden" English w/ fold-out sleeve - $20
- FAC 2 A Factory Sampler - $50
- Joy Division Sordide Sentimentale - $125
- Cure "Boys Don't Cry" (45) - $25
- March Violets "Grooving In Green" 45 - $20
- Public Image "Public Image" Original 45 in newspaper 'sleeve' - $75

Enough of my verbal diarrhea ...