Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Love-Hounds Digest

From: Robert Goldman <rpg>
Date: 30 Mar 86 (Sun) 16:29:31 EST
Subject: Re: Love-Hounds Digest

Real Subjects: George Clinton is God, Pere Ubu, a new subject

number 1:
Scott Peterson writes:
Did Thomas Dolby quit the music business after just "The Golden Age of
Wireless" and "The Flat Earth"?  I bought an album by George Clinton (?)
because the R.S. said Dolby was on it.  Turns out he was on it as a
producer.  I was disappointed by that AND the music.

A George Clinton record with Thomas Dolby on it??  To the uninitiated, this
seems peculiar, because Dolby seems like the `crossovery' musicians Clinton
hates.

Re "George Clinton(?)", shame on you!  Clinton was (perhaps is) the leading
spirit behind the Parliament/Funkadelic cluster of bands, producers of the
finest dance-funk around.  For a good, recent sample, I suggest "Urban
Dancefloor Guerillas," by the PFunk All Stars. [They've been through so many
contract hassles that the list of names they record under looks like the
output of a Stupid Prolog example permutation program]  As I recall, Bernie
Worrell, the keyboardist for PFunk, has appeared on a few Talking Heads
records, and you should ALL be familiar with Sly Stone, who sings a little
on UDG.

Can I be spanked for mentioning Soul in Love-Hounds?

With all due respect, and more, George Clinton could eat four Thomas Dolbys
for lunch, and have room for at least one more synthpopist for dessert.

Are you up for the down stroke?

					Robert Goldman

number 2:
palena writes:
<some abuse>
...one of the more interesting albums I've recently acquired is from a
little-know progressive band of the mid-late '70's called Pere Ubu
(can't begin to guess at the meaning of the group's name).

Little-known!!! My FAVORITE Little-known progressive band ..etc.  Their name
comes from the play by Alfred Jarry, a French writer of the late nineteenth
century, usually credited with being the first absurdist playwright.  The
play is worth investigation, if well-translated (it never is).  Jarry was a
super-hero of the surrealists, and also has been known to appear in strips
by Bill Griffith (who also draws Zippy the Pinhead, must reading for all).
As I recall, the play begins:  "The action takes place in Poland, which is
to say, Nowhere."

I reccommend highly Pere Ubu's first record, "The Modern Dance," and the
"Data-Panic in the Year Zero/A" EPs (which have the songs Palena mentioned
on them).  If you like these, you may want to try the "authorized bootleg",
"390 Degrees of Simulated Stereo", and their next record "Dub Housing."  If
you like these, follow them down the road of greater and greater wierdness.
Write me for more information.  Oh yes, all of these are on Rough Trade
Records.

						Merdre,

						Robert G.

P.S.  Speaking of French literature, someone made noises threatening to read
Proust's A la Recherche d'un Restaurant Chinois, in earlier l-h digests.  If
you do this, by all means GET THE NEW THREE (immense) VOLUME translation.
Shun the earlier (Kilmartin?) translation as though it were the frumious
bandersnatch, my son.  It's disgustingly precious, Victorian and dull as
hell.  Be warned, though, it's 3000 pages.  On the other hand, Proust is
dominates French prose of the 20th century, the way Joyce dominates English,
but even more so.

number 3:
Do any of you out there like, or want to know about, Eugene Chadbourne,
leading light of Shockabilly, and famous wildman?  I've just seen him twice
here in Providence, and both shows were excellent, featuring fine
performances by "Windham Hill Recording Artist, The Rake," as well as Eugene
himself.  If you'd like reviews of the shows, or of the many records I've
bought at them, drop me (or L-H) a line.

Are there any plans to have another Love-Hounds lunch, soon?  You caught me
at Spring Break. . .(in Florida, natch, I be taking advantage of return to
student status, to make a beast of myself, tho' not with the madding crowds
at Lawdahdale...)

				"He came all the way from Venus,
				 In a little green bottle,
				 The landing was rough,