Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

On Music

From: FULIGIN%UMass.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU (Peter E. Lee)
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 86 16:40:56 EST
Subject: On Music

On current musical topics :

     If you like the music of the early Jam, and some of the Style-Council
 (i.e. if you like Paul Weller), you may well like the Housemartins.  Even if
 you don't like Paul Weller, you may well like the Housemartins.  I find that
 they create pretty, guitar oriented music, with some soul influences and
 combine them with well-written, politically aware lyrics.  They have two
 EP's out to date, called "Flag Day", and "Sheep".  Both are well worth
 purchasing.  As it says on the back of the "Flag Day" EP, "The Housemartins
 are quite good."

     If you like the music of Big Audio Dynamite, you may want to check out
 Sigue Sigue Sputnik.  The latest media hyper-trend from England (I could go
 into the pros and cons of their image at length, but I won't, so there),
 SSS work from a base of Generation X-esque guitar (not surprising, given
 that Tony James is the leader of the band) over a relentless drum track.
     Over this base are layered pieces of dialogue from movies including
 "A Clockwork Orange", "Blade Runner", "Scarface", and "The Terminator",
 as well as some snatches of music from "A Clockwork Orange".  The lyrics
 aren't much, but the single is energetic and fun.  I would suggest the
 regular 12-inch version, rather than the Bankok remix or the seven inch.
 I just got the Bankok mix though, so I may change my mind on that...

     If you like the music of Pete Shelley, don't bother with his latest
 single, "Waiting For Love".  Listening to it, I get the distinct impression
 that he wrote it to please his new record company, rather than his fans.
 It's very slick and commercial sounding, and has very little of the spark
 of originality that shows in his earlier work.  Hopefully the album will
 be better.

                                     -Peter Lee

EMail :     Fuligin%UMass.bitnet@wiscvm.arpa
USMail :    24 Puffton Village