Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

re: Mike Oldfield

From: hall%beta.DEC@decwrl.DEC.COM
Date: Thursday, 27 Mar 1986 08:47:22-PST
Subject: re: Mike Oldfield

>Really-From: William LeFebvre <phil@rice.edu>

>If it weren't for the fact that I already have every LP you listed on
>CD, I would have been very interested in your offer.  The EP's didn't
>interest me as much because I always considered the hassle of putting
>on a piece of vinyl (removing from jacket, cleaning, VERY careful
>handling with two hands, etc.) to be too much of a pain for something
>that was typically less than 10 minutes of music.  BUT, can you really

   William, I go through that hassle because there is lots and lots of really
good music found on EPs - some of it exclusively on EPs.  Over half the records
I buy these days are either 12" singles or EPs.  Some are different versions
of tunes I like, some are tunes like Siouxsie and the Banshee's 'Cities in Dust'
found only as a single, some are the only vinyl output from a band because they
never got any farther (like my 4 song EP from Boston's Adventure Set, who re-
cently broke up), and some represent the only vinyl output so far from an up
and coming band (like Boston's Down Avenue, or O Positive).

   Another thing is that most (should be ALL) singles are recorded at 45 RPM,
so they sound less noisy and are MUCH more dynamic than the album version.
This alone should make Oldfield singles more appealing to you.  From your
posting it sounded like you've gone through much trouble to track down some
of the more obscure Oldfield albums.  It seems odd that a minor inconvenience
would have you pass up other available music.

   Please don't take this as a flame - it isn't intended to be one.  Just
wondering aloud.

-Dan Hall