Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Paisley Underground

From: The Electrician <wicinski@nrl-css.arpa>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 86 16:26:19 est
Subject: Paisley Underground

Well, shucks, I could go on and on for days on the so-called 'paisley
underground' stuff and my opinion/definition.  but here are some random
abuses to be heaped on anyone:

1.  The Bangles are not part of this paisley movement. They might sound
like it, but when I interviewed them they are very influenced by
hardcore bands (they're brother is the drumnmer for Red Kross and Debbie
Peterson was dating someone from White Flag).  They're poppy, but not
paisley.

2. Prince is not considered paisley, but more of a funk version of
paisley.  I doubt if he ever could do paisley right, but only funk
version of this.

3. The Three O'clock are bad imitations of everything. I wouldn't call
them competent.

True West - nah

Dream Syndicate - nah, but they are good.

Plan 9 - Now here's a paisley underground band.  The organ is what I
feel gives the band a paisley or 60'ish sound.  Bands like Question
Marks and the Mysterions, the Lyres, the Pandoras (make the Bangles and
the Go-Gos look like wusses), Choclate Watchband,  ...

I guess most of these people today are 'psuedo-paisley-underground'

I'll worry about it later, with a midterm in my compilers class next
week, I'm doing the right thand and going camping for a few days.

later