Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Marianne Faithful; PG II

From: tsung@aerospace.ARPA
Date: 26 Mar 86 09:45:52 PST (Wed)
Subject: Marianne Faithful; PG II
Posted-Date: 26 Mar 86 09:45:52 PST (Wed)

I had meant to ask this before, and since the topic of depressing music
came up ...

Anybody remembered/heard the album "Broken English" by Marianne Faithful?
I'm not familiar with her earlier (perhaps teeny-pop) music, but this
is one consistently powerful album, only someone that has been through
lots of agony/struggles could've made it.  Her voice throughout the
record is one painful instrument that compliments the songs perfectly.
I found this a great album to play when I need to get something out of
my system (do people really play "upbeat" music when they are down?)

Anyway, my question is regarding one of the songs from Broken English,
"The Ballad of Lucy Jordan".  Lyrically (and musically) this is one
of the mildest songs on the album.  I just can't figure out what the
lyrics are in the last section of the song, and consequently what
happens to her.  Can someone help?  Here's what I got (bear with me!):

	The morning sun touched lightly on/The eyes of Lucy Jordan
	In a white suburban bedroom/In a white suburban town
	As she laid there 'neath the covers
	Dreaming up a thousand lovers
	Till the world turned to orange/And the room went spinning round

	(chorus)
	At the age of 37/She realized
	She never ride through Paris
	In a sports car
	With the warm wind in her hair
	So she let the phone keep ringing
	And she sat there softly singing
	Little nursery rhymes/She'd memorized
	In her daddy's easy chair

	Her husband is off to work/And the kids were off to school
	And there were oh so many ways/For her to spend the day
	She can clean the house for hours
	Or rearrange the flowers
	(...??...)
	Screaming out away

	(Chorus)
	(and the last part:)

	The evening sun touched gently on/The eyes of Lucy Jordan
	On the rooftop
	Where she climbed
	When all the laughter grew too loud
	(...??...)
	(...??...)

	At the age of 37/She knew
	She found forever
	How she would've __?__ through Paris
	With the warm wind in her hair

Some others songs use very strong language, so don't play it to a girl you're
trying to impress on a first date.

***

Peter Gabriel III took a while, but it's really growing on me now.  What
are some of his earlier work with Genesis?  How do the styles different?
Is "Security" == PG IV, and the new one coming out his 5th solo album?

I got a used copy of PG II (I think, opens with "On the Air"), and my
semi-automatic turntable would intelligently lift up the stylus and
return before the last song on side A is completely over!  Do I just
have a bad copy or what?  Has this kind of thing happened to any of you?

***

I think TDK SA, Maxell UDXL, etc, actually has 47 minutes or so on one side.
I taped HoL at beg of tape, with no silence between sides, but didn't need
to squeeze the songs.  ???

			"They taught you and scared you for twenty odd years
			 Then they expect you to pick up the bill
			 But you can't really function
			 You're so full of fear
			 Working class hero is something to be"
					-- "Working Class Hero" from B.English