Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Love-Hounds digest (Sheep songs, Goanna, HOL)

From: marcos%chem@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu (David A. Pearlman)
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 86 09:57:47 PST
Subject: Re: Love-Hounds digest (Sheep songs, Goanna, HOL)
Newsgroups: mod.music

You forgot one entry for your list of sheep songs. And this one is
for real (really!). It's a promotional album Paul McCartney made
for the "Ram" album. It's called (yes, yes, really):

"Brought to Ewe By..."  .

It's pretty off the wall, and I can't imagine it did anything to improve
sales of "Ram", but it made collectors happy :-).

---o---

As for the group Goanna, and their album "Spirit of Place": I also think
this is an excellent album. It's really amazing. Here's an album by
an Australian band (which were hot when it was released), containing
socially-conscious lyrics (which are always hot among critics, and at
present among real listeners too) and good, catchy music. Yet it generated
nary a shread of interest among any group when it was released. I have
to imagine that the promo reps at ATCO (an Atlantic records subsidiary)
just plain screwed up on this one. This one's so little recognized among
the general public that you can sometimes pick up a copy for next to
nothing at used record stores. I forced a friend of mine to do that
(he paid a dime!). He has since thanked me profusely. If you haven't
heard it, do yourself a favor and do so (and I would recommend skipping
track 1, side 1--by far the dullest--but I guess someone's idea of most
commercial--track on the album).

---o---

As for the person who asked if it was possible to get "Hounds of Love"
on one side of a C90 cassette. YES IT IS. I did it (with a Maxell UDXL C90--
and don't ask what `it' is, remember this is a family show :-)).
But seriously folks...The whole thing can be put on one side *if*
1) you start recording immediately after the leader; 2) you start side
2 *immediately* after side 1 ends (no dead space); and 3) you edit out
a few (not very many) seconds of the silence between the songs. It's
real tight--I hit the trailing leader about 1 second after the end of
the last song--but it can be done.

						    David ("Dr. DAP") Pearlman

"Funny for nothing and the yuks are free..."