Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

depressing music, etc.

From: Susanne E Trowbridge <umcp-cs!jhunix!ins_aset@seismo.CSS.GOV>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 86 19:42:47 EST
Subject: depressing music, etc.

Some of my fave depressing tunes are on my choice for the best album
ever ever ever (no flames, please) -- Roxy Music's SIREN.  We have
"End of the Line" ("Think I'll walk out in the storm/There's no love
to keep me warm, it's sad/Everything is wrong/You've gone./If you
ever miss me,/If I should cross your mind/You'll know where to find
me/I'll be waiting/At the end of the line...")

And how about "Just Another High"...it is SAD.  "Maybe your heart is
aching/I wouldn't know, now would I/Maybe your spirit's breaking/I
shouldn't care, now should I/Maybe you're thinking of me/Well I don't
know, now do I/If only you knew how I feel, oh/Wish I could die..."

Many of the songs on Roxy Music LP #4, "Country Life," are about Jerry
Hall, but I think she left him shortly thereafter for Mick Jagger,
even though she is on the cover of "Siren"...that would account for
the downbeat lyrics.  Anyway, everyone should run out and buy this
record.  End of commercial.

By the way, Shoo, Japan was flamed mightily by the British press
throughout their entire existence.  "Tin Drum" may have copped a good
review or two, though.  Of course, who's to trust the British press??

SHOCKING PETER GABRIEL RUMOR:
-----------------------------

The ever-popular rockcrit guy, J.D. Considine, spoke with Genesis'
management about doing an interview with Phil 'n the bunch.  Anyway,
the word is that Peter Gabriel thinks Phil reached the top by
copping his (Peter's) sound, and is mighty mad at the petite Phil.
Peter's LP reportedly is in the style of Phil's trio of billion-
sellers!!!!  He wants to have hits, too.  J.D. added that he couldn't
wait to see all those "pretentious" P.G. fans' reactions to the
change, although I'm hoping that this rumor will turn out to be
FALSE.

Speaking of vinyl travesties, anyone else heard the latest Philip
Glass LP???  Foo.

Over and out,
Sue