Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Mike Oldfield

From: William LeFebvre <phil@rice.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 86 01:45:21 CST
Subject: Mike Oldfield

First, I'm not really on the ARPANet list.  I've been reading the
digests thru the Usenet mod.music gateway.  But I've been enjoying the
digests, so.....

From: ihnp4!utzoo!dciem!jeff
> I'm also always willing to talk about Mike Oldfield's music.

Oh, so am I!!!

If it weren't for the fact that I already have every LP you listed on
CD, I would have been very interested in your offer.  The EP's didn't
interest me as much because I always considered the hassle of putting
on a piece of vinyl (removing from jacket, cleaning, VERY careful
handling with two hands, etc.) to be too much of a pain for something
that was typically less than 10 minutes of music.  BUT, can you really
get those 7" things on CD?  You did say you were interested in selling
those because you wanted to replace them with CDs!

Has anyone heard anything about possible CD releases of "Incantations"
or "Exposed"?  My copy of "Exposed" claims that it is a limited edition
and that only 100,000 of them were made.  I had taken that as a bad
sign as far as it being released on CD.

I have heard of two full-length disks (can't really say "LP" anymore,
can we) that I don't have copies of:  "Wonderland" and "The complete
Mike Oldfield."  Are these worth tracking down?  "The complete..."
sounds like a "Best of..." which would make it much less interesing.
Is there anything new on these that I am missing?  And are they
available on CD?

Finally, I have located the extracts from "Hiawatha" that appear on
side 2 of "Incantations", but I have been unsuccessful at locating the
final set of lyrics that appear at the end of side 4.  In fact, I don't
even know if they are from "Hiawatha".  Anyone got any clues on this?

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.edu>