Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins

From: nessus (Doug Alan)
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 86 07:56:02 EST
Subject: Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins

> From: Susanne E Trowbridge <umcp-cs!jhunix!ins_aset@seismo.CSS.GOV>

> SHOCKING PETER GABRIEL RUMOR:
> -----------------------------

> The ever-popular rockcrit guy, J.D. Considine, spoke with Genesis'
> management about doing an interview with Phil 'n the bunch.  Anyway,
> the word is that Peter Gabriel thinks Phil reached the top by
> copping his (Peter's) sound, and is mighty mad at the petite Phil.
> Peter's LP reportedly is in the style of Phil's trio of billion-
> sellers!!!!  He wants to have hits, too.  J.D. added that he couldn't
> wait to see all those "pretentious" P.G. fans' reactions to the
> change, although I'm hoping that this rumor will turn out to be
> FALSE.

But Collins *did* copy Peter Gabriel's style.  And butchered it.  I
can't really believe that Peter Gabriel is too obsessed with having
hits, considering that he left Genesis because it was getting too
popular.  In any case, I'm sure that even if Peter *tried* to write
pop commercial trash, it would come out *brilliant*.  I mean just look
at "Games Without Frontiers", "Shock The Monkey", and "Walk Through
The Fire".  I am not afeard.  (And JD should talk about "pretentious"?
Tell him to go back to drooling over his hate mail and playing
Ophelia to his own Hamlet.)

			"Jeux sans frontiere"

			 Doug