Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Japan...the band, not the country

From: Susanne E Trowbridge <umcp-cs!jhunix!ins_aset@seismo.CSS.GOV>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 86 15:58:52 EST
Subject: Japan...the band, not the country

Since there has been no response to Shoo's question about the great
and glorious Japan, here, for your edification, is the scoop...

ALBUMS
------
Adolescent Sex
Obscure Alternatives
Quiet Life
Gentlemen Take Polaroids
Tin Drum
Oil On Canvas
Assemblage
Exorcising Ghosts

The first two are totally different from the rest of Japan's material...
"punkier," rougher, glam-rock.  Most Japan fans I know hate these two
LPs.  I can take 'em or leave 'em.  Get the rest first, though.

With "Quiet Life," they started moving into smooth Eurodisco; "Gentlemen
Take Polaroids" and "Tin Drum" are their best, though.  They actually
got some Oriental musicians and started trying to live up to their name.
Very interesting stuff, not party music or anything but definitely
recommended.

"Oil On Canvas" is a double live LP that's only for completists and
Japan fetishists like myself.  "Assemblage" and "Exorcising Ghosts" are
compilations, with the latter being a double.

Japan have also released loads of singles; my favorite is the 12" of
"All Tomorrows Parties" (yes, a cover of the Velvet Underground song).

David Sylvian has released a superb LP, "Brilliant Trees," as well as
several singles, including two with Ryuichi Sakamoto, "Forbidden
Colours" and "Bamboo Houses."  A cassette LP, "Alchemy," was released
late last year.  (A 12" of excerpts, "Words from the Shaman," is also
out).  It's all instrumental, unfortunately...

And if you're REALLY into Japan, how can you live without their video,
"Instant Pictures"?  It's a Japanese VHS cassette, definitely the best
quality video I own.  It features several videos for songs from "Tin
Drum" and "Gentlemen Take Polaroids," including "Visions of China,"
one of the best videos EVER.  Ok, so it costs $40 and it's not exactly
easy to get hold of.

Further questions?  Email to me...

Sue