Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

weird movies

From: "James J. Lippard" <Lippard@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 86 17:09 MST
Subject: weird movies

In the last week or so, I saw the movies "Blowup", "8 1/2", "The
Tenant", "Picnic at Hanging Rock", and "Videodrome".  All were strange
in different sorts of ways, but they prompted me to put together a list
of some of the stranger movies I've seen, ranked in a scale of
"weirdness" from 0 to 5, plus 6 being a special category for
"Eraserhead" (0 would be a conventional, straight-forward movie).  I
liked them all, I have a fondness for weird movies.  Anybody have any
good ones to add to this list?

 1: Picnic at Hanging Rock (Peter Weir)
     (Girls from a boarding school visit Hanging Rock, three and one teacher
      do not return.  Viewer has to "provide own conclusions" as to what
      happened.)

 2: Blowup (Michelangelo Antonioni)
     (Photographer gets pictures of a murder about to take place.
      DePalma's "Blow Out" borrowed heavily.  Lots of strange symbolism.)

    The Tenant (Roman Polanski)
     (Neat story, reminded me of something by Rudy Rucker.  Polanski
      plays paranoid tenant in apartment whose previous owner committed
      suicide.)

 3: Videodrome (David Cronenberg)
     (Executive of small Canadian TV channel comes across a pirate
      broadcast of a show called "Videodrome", whose participants are
      tortured and beaten.  Quickly becomes very weird, difficult to
      tell what is really happening and what is videodrome-induced
      hallucination.)

    if... (Lindsay Anderson)
     (Malcolm McDowell and friends plan revolution at a military
      boarding school.  Scenes periodically in black & white, weird
      ending.  McDowell's first film.)

 4: Man of Flowers (?)
     (I just remember it was weird, but my mental condition at the
      time was such that it might have just been me.  No, I think it
      was weird.  Much of it seemed to make some kind of sense at the
      time (though I'm pretty sure *that* was just me).  Anybody else
      seen this who can enlighten me?)

    Oh Lucky Man (Lindsay Anderson)
     (McDowell appears again in a sort of sequel to "if...".
      A self-referential movie that starts out making perfect sense
      and then really becomes strange.)

 5: 8 1/2 (Federico Fellini)
     (Another self-referential movie.  Lots of scenes which are not
      directly connected to one another, I bet repeated viewing would
      make more sense out of it.  Woody Allen's "Stardust Memories"
      came to mind a lot while watching this.)

 6: Eraserhead (David Lynch)
     (WEIRD.  If anyone can explain this movie, I'd like to hear it.)

   -- Jim (Lippard at MULTICS.MIT.EDU)