Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: hsut@ed.purdue.edu (Bill Hsu)
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 86 14:46:47 EST

Synchronicity strikes again... (a little drum roll, please!)

David Hardy (paraphrase): Widespread use of obscenities shows a deficiency
				in the ability to communicate

Repo Hacker and Hoffman: Band with obscene name does not imply lousy music

I personally don't think that using obscenities has anything to do
with somebody's ability to communicate. A much better benchmark is to
see if they love convoluted sentences like mine :-) :-)

Seriously, I've known people who write and talk brilliantly AND use
lots of obscenities/profanities (e.g., Allen Ginsburg :-) :-) There's
obviously no correlation between the two. (Try convincing the PMRC of that.)
I've been known to use obscenities on occasion, tho I'm usually pretty
sedate when I write. Old habits die hard :-)

Re: I Often Dream of Trains...

Yes, this is my favorite Robyn Hitchcock album, and I do like it more
than Robyn's more upbeat stuff. Maybe it's because I have a weakness
for more personal, slightly self-indulgent stuff :-). Because it is
so personal, I find the zany parts in IODoT just a little more deranged
and funny than, say, most of the stuff in Fegmania!. The great lyrics
are easily intelligible because of the spare production. Most of the
more serious songs on side 2 are painful and nostalgic, and more subtle;
took me quite a while to warm up to them, tho they seem much simpler
in construction than most of Robyn's other songs. I guess it takes time
to like ALL of IODoT (you do like some of it, I hope, Jim?) because
it's so varied and personal.

				"This could be the day
				 I cut a malignant growth
				 With a steel knife"