Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Gabriel. Genesis. Ranting & ravings in one nonstop paragraph.

From: CUTTER%UMass.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU (Local UMass address is Cutter@Mailer.CY175)
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 86 02:04:05 EST
Subject: Gabriel. Genesis. Ranting & ravings in one nonstop paragraph.

Does anyone know anything about a new Peter Gabriel album? He's had
nothing since 1983's SECURITY, and I've had to console myself by
buying "peter gabriel" (III) in German, "Security" in German, and a total
of $80 of Gabriel bootlegs, some of which are worth note: "Swelled and
Spent: The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway Live" - no bass, but the audience
shut up during the songs and the spoken intros by Gabriel... "Milton
Keynes 2nd October 1982" - this is a "Fan Club Only" (baha!) release of a
Genesis/Gabriel reunion concert from 1982. Lotsa neat stuff, pretty good
sound quality. Gabriel does drums on "Turn It On Again", and he's pretty
good, too. Also, a nice version of "Solsbury Hill", and some WIERD intros.
"Games... Without Words" - hey hey! someone broke into Gabriel's home in
Bath and stole some tapes. Good quality, with some unreleased instrumentals.
Features Tony Levin, Jerry Marotta, and Larry Fast (Synergy). Strange version
of "I Go Swimming", extended version of "Games Without Frontiers" sans words
(most of the songs have no vocal trax) and an interesting synth percussion
track. And a very bad cover photo.   Interesting to note: The reunion concert
comes in an attractive red gatefold with nice color photos from the concert
on the inside and out... It has a copyright notice, and is attributed to
"Jessicharisma Records". Uh-huh. Sure. Just like the "Return to Abbey Road"
bootleg that says it's an E.M.I. recording. Looks like one too, with a
back cover photo of the Abbey Road studios, and a front-cover consisting
of an alternate take for the Abbey Road cover - replete with Paul wearing
sandals and all 4 dudes walking the *other* *direction* across Abbey Road!
By the way, I advise you to pick up the AR Japanese CD. It's great!! Them
short little Asian critters ran that sucker through some heavy duty
computers to get it sounding nice, which it does. Also, I hear tell of a
new Genesis album coming out soon. After "Genesis", I have almost given
up on Phil and the boys. Better to listen to "Mike and the Mechanics", it's
much more interesting than whatever Phil-baby can do. Maybe it'll have a
small gem like "Illegal Alien", whose only redeeming value was that it was
the only non-love song on "Genesis". "Home By the Sea" was just plain
embarassing. Ah, for the days of "The Cinema Show", or "Supper's Ready"...
Back to the Gabriel album for a sec, and then I'll go away; considering
his rehashing of PGIII music for "Birdy", and the sound and feel of
"Walk Through the Fire" (for the "Against All Odds" soundtrack, I think),
plus his comment that "I like the sound of the second two albums better than
the first two", I think whatever PGVI turns out to be, it'll probably be
more pseudo-African-syntho-pop stuff, which is nice, but I'd like to see
him do another "Mother of Violence", or "D.I.Y.", or even another "Modern
Love"...
                    "Can't you feel our souls ignite?
                     Shedding ever-changing colours
                     In the darkness of the fading night.
                     Like the river joins the ocean,
                     As the germ in a seed grows,
                     We have finally been freed to get back home..."

                                                     Joe
"What Doug feels for Kate, I feel for
 Petey G... 'cept I don't want to sleep
 with Gabriel..." :-)