Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

'ofmann eats 'umble pie ... actually subversive diatribe.

From: Hofmann <hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 86 10:00:54 EST
Subject: 'ofmann eats 'umble pie ... actually subversive diatribe.

>Date: 2 Mar 1986 11:07-PST
>Sender: CDONALDSON@USC-ISIF.ARPA
>Subject: Re: Love-Hounds Digest
>From: CDONALDSON@USC-ISIF.ARPA

> Mr. Hoffman, the Village Voice is NO longer owned by R. Murdoch. Perhaps

Once again, my complete lack of intelligence is shown to the world ... thanks
for filling me in so I won't make a total ass of myself at parties ...

speakin' of parties, i attended one last saturday in reisterstown, md with
the total reistertown high school "hardcore" population.  it was held in
an attic with about an average of 2 inches head clearance (estimated
std. deviation = 32") with a band called OTR playing.  They asked the
crowd if they wanted to hear Judas Priest, when no one responded, they
said fuck you and played some anyway.  I guess you can guess what OTR
stands for - amazing, though, how easy it is for a bunch of teenagers
to create their own alternative scene without any wankers telling them
what is "politically and musically correct" in order to be "alternative."

These various assorted "scenes" in small town America anywhere is sympomatic
of the coming decline of the "music ""industry"" " - most of these major
labels are holding companies for large conglomorates who will cut their
profit and run at the first sign of unmarketability.  Why do you think this
push for dollar taxes on blank tapes and 25% taxes on dual port recorders
is going on?  Kids aren't only "bootlegging" lp's they are passing
around tapes of their local bands and listening to them, regardless
of a slick, professional sound.  This "slick professional sound" can
be easily produced for a few bucks more anyway and some bands into
marketing their own tapes are doing it on their own.  When the major
labels cry about dwindling sales (only like 4 billion last year -
[that's probably inaccurate but it's something outrageous)] they
are really yelling "fire" in a crowded movie house, where all the
strange men in overcoats are really cassettes of unsigned, unknown,
bands and instead of a "fire" all these strange men are TRADING themselves
with each other.  Horrifying!!!

but like I said, alot of these major labels will give up when the
going gets unprofitable - look at MGM (I know that's movies but ...)
so take heart as they try desparately to come up with marketing
ideas like "next wave" or "cd players" ...

Be subversive, buy a cassette from an unknown band. Take chances -
you might find something you like.

			Hofmann
                                      >  "Profit before Principle"
					yah! the same exact