Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

forwarded message on Christian Death

From: Hofmann <hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 86 9:27:14 EST
Subject: forwarded message on Christian Death

And now for an opposing view from GoF (I'm assuming that's
who you were refering to, Greg?)

John sent me this description of Christian DEath by e-mail and
I later asked him if I could post it to love-hounds ( mod.music ),
he said he wasn't sure about all the facts (I said, well, I've
never really been one for facts 8-> ) so ... I even researched this
one a bit and I think everything is correct.

					Jim
 ------------------------
From:  John Reeves <reeves@ucla.locus.edu>

Christian Death is was and will be Wank city.  Formed roughly the same time
as  Joy  Div and Bahaus, CD was the first (or therabouts) death/halloweenie
bands - all spooky in black clothes, snow white tans and mysterioso  images
-  featured  Rikki Agnew (x-Adolecents, now in DI) on gtr and Tranvestite
Roz on Vocals.  Their first album was  on  Frontier  and  most  people  saw
straight  through  the selfindulgent bullshit, until it got to europe where
it 'inspired' a cult following culminating in the Batcave stuff.  Of course
when  the  inspiration  got back here, people went apecrazy of it - nothing
like validation from the mother shores to be claimed as originality.  nah.
By  the time doom and gloom got fashionable, Christian Death had broken up,
but when Roz found out she was Big in England, she reformed the  band  with
second  stringers  for a Yerpean tour (this was about 1984?).  I don't know
about any other vinyl.  The original members recently had a one-shot reunion
gig,  after which they were served notice by a lawyer for one of the second
stringers (moniked 'Valor') to cease and desist using the  name  'cause  of
trademark infingment.  Nice guy.

                                        --John