Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Bauhaus/ToT/Love and Rockets (also Math Bats)

From: hsut@ec.purdue.edu (Tsun-Yuk Hsu)
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 86 11:17:02 EST
Subject: Bauhaus/ToT/Love and Rockets (also Math Bats)

Being a rabid Bauhaus addict, I was pretty mad when they broke up. I
picked up POP! a year ago but was rather disappointed. I liked some of
the songs like Slender Fungus, Rain and Real Life, but they sounded
a little like redone Bauhaus classics like Slice of Life or Silent Hedges,
but without Peter Murphy's powerful voice to give the music focus.
I wasn't expecting to warm up to Love and Rockets, but the few songs
I've heard so far I've really liked, in particular the intricate non-
Bauhaus guitar work.

Does anyone know when Peter Murphy's solo album will be out? I've seen
a few 12"s (and of course The Light Pours Out of Me) and a small picture
of what might be the album cover (on the Beggar's Banquet compilation).

I got curious about the Indiana band Math Bats after Greg Earle's
query awhile back, and after some poking around found their mini-album.
(I bought the store copy; they weren't carrying the things anymore.)
No label is listed, tho the songs are supposedly copyright BMI. The
music is pretty uneven. The most interesting passages sound like
nice Pornography-era Cure with more rough edges, but there are some
repetitive and unruly instrumental parts. I'll certainly try to hear
these guys when they come into town.

Bill Hsu