Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Children in Adult Jails

From: nessus (Doug Alan)
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 86 20:58:37 EST
Subject: Children in Adult Jails

Really-Really-From: Jim Hofmann

I thought I sent a review of their last and first album to lhounds ...
I'll dig up a copy before I trash my copy --- what I noticed was that
the cover is a still from Brazil (when he is in the police van behind
a wired fence) and inside is the still where his mother was having her
face pulled (there is one song called lady with the elastic face - i think) ...
there is also a song about a guy named Sam Miami (sort of like Sam
Langley?) ... I'll tack on the review here:

Subject:  I'm dying in a house of weenies (it's the nitrate maaaan)
Children In Adult Jails (Buy Our Records)

"Man Caught In Waffle Iron"

So after hearing these guys on N.J.'s Got It? comp - I was expecting
more of what I had termed Northeastern Industrial Tex & The Horseheads
only to have my egomaniac and stupid assumptions gummed up and smeared
back on my face like play makeup or sumpin.  So like I was saying,
but not really, I was laying on my sofabed ruminating about how much
Sam Miami sounded like X in their Desperate stage and was getting all
excited about this new band to carry on where X left off and ...
like I wuz thinking, these guys went ahead and stole that riff from
Trucking and stuck it in this song called Displacement Blues which
rags on the parochialism of the NY Band scene so like maybe these
are the true post-punk reincarnations of the dead ... what I really
was thinking these guys are came to bear on the first cut of
side two complete with mixmasters and cartoon sound effects and I
thought like this is the recording that could bring a smile onto
the face of the as of late solemn Butthole Surfers when and if
they'd ever get a chance to hear this before they prematurely die
or sumpin ... so like, I was REALLY thinking that here be the
noize band of the 80's who would crystalize everything Frith was
trying to do on those Japanese recordings with songs about lizards
and houses of weenies (which goes quite well with the sound turned
down on that Madonna video - Material Girl) ... NO FUCKING A - these
guys can funk out like no posthardcore types ever, maaaann - with their
very own cover of Brickhouse (incidentally co-penned by our favorite
father-figure/pepsi drinker/live-aider Lionel Richie - and i betcha
you thought you'd never see HIS name on one of yer LP's huh?).

IT was at this point, when the needle left the groove and returned
itself back to point zero - normalcy that I said fuggit and went to
go find my rounded scissors, construction paper and rubber cement
to have some real fun instead of this phoney, asinine, pseudointellectual
bullshit search for a label and/or explanation for Children in
Adult Jails while replaying this 12" (grind, grind)

Oh fershure excellent bordering on professional production job by
Sblendorio and CIAJ on this lump of vinyl (and lyric sheet) - manages to
keep in the weirdness without muddying up the mix 'n message.
And I'd sure like to find out the answer to 18 ACROSS sometime, Diane.
	"The mind industry can take on anything, digest it, reproduce it,
	 and pour it out.  Whatever our minds can conceive of is grist to
	 its mill; nothing will leave it unadulterated:  it is capable of
	 turning any idea into a slogan and any work of the imagination
	 into a hit.. . .The mind industry's main business and concern is
	 not to sell its product:  it is to 'sell' the existing order, to
	 perpetuate the prevailing pattern of man's domination by man, no
	 matter who runs the society, and by what means.  Its main task is
	 to expand and train our consciousness--in order to exploit it."

					--hans magnus enzensberger
					  "the industrialization of the mind"
					  1962