Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

New Stuff by Suzanne Vega (bad news)

From: Susanne E Trowbridge <umcp-cs!jhunix!ins_aset@seismo.CSS.GOV>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 86 15:56:05 EST
Subject: New Stuff by Suzanne Vega (bad news)

Someone just gave me the advance cassette of the "Pretty in Pink" soundtrack.
"P.i.P." is the new film by the guy who directed "The Breakfast Club" and
"16 Candles" -- I think his name is John Hughes, but I'm not positive -- and
it stars Molly Ringwald, one of the more appealing of those horrid brat pack
people.  Still, I doubt I'll rush out to see it.

It has a new song by Suzanne Vega, "Left of Center," which is pretty crummy
(for lack of a better descriptive adjective) -- she did it in concert and
I didn't like it then, either.  One expects more from SV, one of the coolest
women in the universe.  It sounds like a stab at the Top 40.

Fortunately, there's also a brand new one from New Order, "Shell Shock,"
which I like quite a bit.  What else?  The Psychedelic Furs REMADE "Pretty
in Pink" -- blasphemy!!!  The A&M rep told me that it had a "punkier edge"
but it really sounds like a second-rate cover version.  Or it would, if it
weren't for Richard Butler's voice.

The rest -- "Round, Round" (Belouis Some); "Wouldn't It Be Good" (Danny
Hutton Hitters -- would you believe a cover version of a Nik Kershaw
song??????); "Bring On The Dancing Horses" (Echo and the Bunnymen); "Please
Please Please Let Me Get What I Want" (The Smiths); "If You Leave" (OMD);
"Get To Know Ya" (Jesse Johnson); and "Do What You Do" (INXS).  Better than
most soundtrack LPs, but that's not saying much, is it?

Do you ever wonder what your fellow Love-Hounders and net.music contributors
look like?  I do.  Perhaps we could put together some kind of photo album!
Then I can find out if Larry Palena is really green and slimy or if he only
writes that way.

A Morgan Fairchild look-a-like,
-Sue