Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

/enthal and zines/

From: Jim Hofmann - RAMD-D <hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 86 14:38:04 EST
Subject: /enthal and zines/

Andrea 'Enthal also had something to do with the Minutemen's
mop-up LP - The_Politics_of_Time (mainly a collection of stuff
they hadn't put on an lp prior to /84).  She apparently had a
boot of a new york concert.

Her mailing list isn't really worth it, unless you don't have
addresses to the majors like Rough_Trade and Systematic, etc.
Else you can send her 3 stamps and she'll send you her accumulated
knowledge about mail order (about 4 pages) with such hot tips
as what an IRC is.  She also has the most stupid computer list
of band names that she thought are wierd ("these names have
been witnessed or seen by me on record labels or showbills!").
Yawn.  The third thing (zine addresses) she never sent me which is
characteristic of hardcore/underground-type mailings - extremely unreliable.

All I can say it's good to her she's putting together a tape, a
mention in her column does a hell of a lot for a band - she pretty
much put Dead Milkmen and Scratch Acid into the green (and deservedely
so) and usually hits the mark.

Greg, it's hard to believe she uses her own money to buy platters.
This is extremely cool in my view.  I recently read an interview
with Al Flipside (who puts out the zine Flipside) in which he
shudders in horror about the days when they had to buy their
own records.  Somehow, the whole little underground machine feeds
on itself and consequently the zines come up with most uninspired
drivel about platters.  No wonder they can't write more than one
or two lines.

hof