Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: Susanne E Trowbridge <umcp-cs!jhunix!ins_aset@seismo.CSS.GOV>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 86 15:47:58 EST

Life...bah, humbug.  Call me a bleeding heart, but I'm feeling incredibly
depressed about what happened to the space shuttle.  What's more, I'm
trapped here at work unable to watch any news about it.  I am also putting
off transcribing an interview with John Lombardo, one of 10,000 Maniacs'
two guitarists.  He was rather nice but the interview was nothing spectacular
-- I keep waiting for an interviewee with a wild sense of humor to liven
things up a bit.  I will give John credit for his Six Million Dollar Man
lunchbox, though, in which he kept his guitar strings and tools.  Maybe I'm
just getting jaded.  For the record, though, my favorite interviewees so
far are New Order's Steve Morris, for not taking himself too seriously and
for liking John Waters movies, and Mark Mothersbaugh from Devo, because he
was so weird (this was several years ago when they were still weird and not
putting out crappo like "Shout.")

I am currently listening to the new Public Image Ltd. album, "Album," (I
guess mine would be "Cassette," though -- it's an advance that just says
"Public Image Ltd." on it).  I was not looking forward to it, because I am
no big fan of their "Rise" single (ever wondered what it would be like if
John Lydon decided to join R.E.M.?  Neither had I).  The other songs seem
much better, though, at least on side one.  It's perhaps a little too
restrained, being a big major label production and all, and they will never
ever top their "Public Image" single.  Bill Laswell (!) produced, and
Ryuichi Sakamoto's supposedly around here somewhere too.

I sent in a response to Village Voice's annual "Pazz and Jop" Critics' Poll.
No, they didn't ask me -- Official Respondent J.D. Considine (oh no, him
again) gave me his Official Envelope since he was sending his Federal
Express, so I just gave my affiliation as Baltimore City Paper/Freelance,
and now we'll see if they're fooled!  I'm sure everyone is dying to know
what I voted for (ha ha).  Since I'm tired of "10 Best" lists etc. consider
this a "10 Records Which Sue Thought Were Pretty Interesting"

*Albums*
1. The Fall, "This Nations Saving Grace"
2. Zeitgeist, "Translate Slowly"
3. Velvet Underground, "VU"
4. Robyn Hitchcock, "Gotta Let This Hen Out"
5. Suzanne Vega, "Suzanne Vega"
6. Kate Bush, "Hounds of Love
7. Cabaret Voltaire, "The Arm of the Lord"
8. Prefab Sprout, "Two Wheels Good"
9. Bryan Ferry, "Boys and Girls"
10. Microdisney, "The Clock Comes Down The Stairs"

*EPs*
1. The Woodentops, "It Will Come"
2. Cabaret Voltaire, "I Want You"
3. Cocteau Twins, "Tiny DynamiNe"
4. The Three Johns, "Death of the European"

*Videos*
1. Artists United Against Apartheid, "Sun City"
2. ABC, "How to be a Millionaire"
3. A-Ha, "Take On Me"
4. Run-D.M.C., "King of Rock"
5. Shriekback, "Nemesis"

(Note -- I have seen very very few videos in the past year -- no cable)

-Sue