Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Love-Hounds digest, 1/27/86

From: ia-sun2!smeagol!gorbag!earle@csvax.caltech.edu (Greg Earle)
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 86 00:49:29 pst
Subject: Re: Love-Hounds digest, 1/27/86

Re: SPIN radio show

Just from the name "Nocturnal Emissions", you can tell it's gonna be
interesting ... Sure hofmann isn't the DJ? :@)

BTW, in 1984 the debut Dead Can Dance LP was probably *My Favorite* LP
of the year; you can take that with however many grains of NaCl and a twist
a lemon...

Errm, about the SPIN radio show.  It is hosted by a thing that goes by the
moniker of Andrea 'Enthal; if you met her you'd know that the 'Enthal must
certainly be a diminutive of Rosenthal (why hide your heritage?).  Though
you'd never guess in a million years from the stuff she plays, in person
she is this 200 lb. + behemoth, who wears ankle-length tie-dyed dresses by
Omar the Tentmaker (straight out of Haight-Ashbury, I swear!), and my best
guess is that she baths as frequently as there are heavy rainstorms out here
in L.A.   Oh well, enough mud-slinging...  She has hosted a show on KPFK
in L.A. for the last 5 years (12am - 6am Sat. nights, 90.7 FM for you visitors)
called "12 O'Clock Rock" (Hrmpf, musta meditated on L for a while to get that).
The one thing that I respect her for, is that of all the people who attempt
to assert their opinions/authority over people (musically speaking), at least
she goes out and *buys* all of her own records, and she buys *EVERYTHING*.
Which means that the Hit/Miss ratio is brought down proportionally, but at
least there is something for everyone, and nobody in this city can touch her
show for range of stuff (Because she's the only one wacko enough to spend every
last dime on musical recordings).  I may not agree with her opinions, but at
least she has the necessary credentials for me to at least *respect* them.
Her major problem is that sometimes she succumbs to gloating and preaching
(as in "well, I think that so-and-so sucks donkey dicks etc.", and last week
she played a tape of Jesus and Mary Chain live at the Roxy LA 12/22/85, then
afterwards gloated "this tape is in a recording studio, and *I* know where that
studio is ....", later, "Well, I'm just gonna haveta spend a lot of time mixing
down this live JAMC stuff from that tape for the SPIN magazine compilation *I*
am putting out"; Gawd, I swear I wanted to reach through the radio and hit her)
So to make a long story short - listen, but with a jaundiced ear ...

>Subject: Re: John Fox and Garry Numan
                     ^       ^^
Hmmm, do we call this "Double letter Dyslexia" :@)

Love-Hounds Trivia Test Number 1:
(1) [Easy] Gimme John Foxx' real name.
(2) [Not so] Name the band that was the precursor to Ultravox! Mk. I
(3) [Massively Difficult] Name the title of the record by said band.
If I see any quotes from the book "Volume", you LOSE BIG.

	Greg Earle
	sdcrdcf!smeagol!earle (UUCP)
	ia-sun2!smeagol!earle@csvax.caltech.edu (ARPA)

Sorry, no Know Your Culture this time
(see my last net.musack posting for latest one)