Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Sonic Youth, Keith Haring and other neat people

From: hsut@purdue-ecn.ARPA (Bill Hsu)
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 86 14:20:52 EST
Subject: Sonic Youth, Keith Haring and other neat people

Found this neat-looking compilation album last week called A Diamond Hidden
in the Mouth of a Corpse, put out by Giorno Poetry Systems, poet John
Giorno's label (I guess). If you ever wondered if the National Endowment
for the Arts ever finances anything interesting, here it is...

This looked like a really interesting album, with a bunch of Keith Haring
sketches (he's the guy who draws the stick figures in NY subways) on the
cover, and in the background of the photos of the bands. The actual
music on the album was a little disappointing, despite some nice tracks
(maybe I was expecting too much). Sonic Youth had an ok song (inferior
to most tracks from Bad Moon Rising), and there were contributions from
Husker Du, David Johannsen and Coil. I enjoyed the Cabaret Voltaire track
(my first exposure to CV). The spoken pieces by William Burroughs and
Michael Gira were amusing but hardly earthshaking.

If anyone else picked up this album, could you identify some of the photos?
I recognized Husker Du, David Johannsen and Sonic Youth, and William
Burroughs (I think...) but which one is Coil?... Cabaret Voltaire?...

Bill Hsu