Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Residents, Cocteau Twins, etc.

From: allynh%miro@BERKELEY.EDU (Allyn Hardyck)
Date: 20 Jan 86 17:25:44 PST (Mon)
Subject: Residents, Cocteau Twins, etc.

One of the Residents' eyeball masks was stolen recently after a series of
concerts in SF.  The unfortunate Resident is now touring in a black tuxedo
(the rest wear white) and a black skull mask.  Rumor has it they'll be playing
either SNL or Letterman when the tour reaches NYC.  "Demented synth-group"?
Incidentally, there's a New American Dada exhibit (neglecting the fact that
Dada was a one-time movement) at the Henry Art Gallery at UWash, with 4 tvs
broadcasting alternative videos.  The "Weirdness" tv is almost entirely Ralph,
including Tuxedomoon's "Jinx" and the Residents' "Moisture", "Act of Being
Polite", "Simple Song", "Perfect Love", "Hello Skinny", and "Third Reich and
Roll".  The other tvs are:

Satire:  Devo "Freedom of Choice"	Dog Police "1-800"
	 Circle Jerks "Beverly Hills"	Black Flag "TV Party" + interview

Rage:	 Ramones "Psycho Therapy"	Suicidal Tendencies "Institutionalized"
         DEad Kennedys "Life Sentence"	Einsturzende Neubauten "Autobahn"

Protest: Devo "Beautiful World"		D. A. F. "Dance To Mussolini"
	 Cabaret Voltaire "The Crackdown"
	 Killing Joke "Follow The Leader", "Who Told You How?", "Exit"

I've probably forgotten a few...

Cocteau Twins:  Killer.  (Sorry, the influence of SoCal residents of my
co-op.)   Just bought _Treasure_, after having heard "Lorelei" on a college
radio station in Chicago while waiting for a plane at O'Hare.  Other good
cuts on the album are "Ivo" and "Amelia".  The version I bought (Canadian)
also included the _Aikea-Guinea_ EP.  "Kookaburra" sounds very much like
pre-sellout Simple Minds.  I noticed the _Echoes in a Shallow Bay_ EP at the
record store; isn't that a line from New Order's "Blue Monday"?

"but if it wasn't for your misfortune, I'd be a heavenly person today"

Butthole Surfers / Camper Van Beethoven show at the Mabuhay sold out, grr.
Attempts to meet the Surfers at the place they were crashing proved futile:
they turned out to have phoned ahead to say they were staying at some place
on Fillmore.

Special showing of _Brazil_ with Terry Gilliam in attendance this Tuesday
at Wheeler Aud on campus, but dammit the same time as the city council meeting
on the future of my beloved co-op.  Can only hope we don't come up til late on
the agenda.

allyn