Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: sombre reptiles

From: nessus (Doug Alan)
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 86 17:26:51 est
Subject: Re: sombre reptiles

> [Tim:] Bill, The only place I have seen the Birdsong's version of
> Sombre Reptiles is on the 'Arf Arf Compilation' on (I believe) arf arf
> records.

Yeah, this is what it is on.

> It features many Boston and Mass. bands, including the Pink
> Negroes.

Actually, most of the bands aren't really real.  They are one-shot
bands put together by Eric Lindgren to do one song.  Birdsongs is an
exception.  Most of Eric Lindgren's solo stuff goes under the name
"Space Negroes".  I have his Space Negroes business card.  "The Space
Negroes -- 'Abstract Go-Go-ists -- Weddings, Bar Mitzvahs, Funerals".

> From what I remember hearing, it's not a bad compilation,
> though I would probably tape it anyway.

It's completely wonderful!  Buy it!

> The Birdsong's version of Sombre Reptiles pays great tribute to Eno's
> original piece while not copying it note for note.

Their version is just so good that I'm left