Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Misc topics: Kate, Joni Mitchel, Hawkwind

From: nessus (Doug Alan)
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 85 22:18:26 est
Subject: Misc topics: Kate, Joni Mitchel, Hawkwind

> From:     Susanne E Trowbridge <ins_aset@jhunix>

> Well, I called CMJ with my report for WJHU today, and it looked like this:

> * #1 Album - "Hounds of Love"
> * #1 Track - "The Big Sky"; #2, "Running Up That Hill"; #5, "Cloudbusting"
> * #1 Most Requested - Kate Bush
> * #1 Adventure Pick - "Hounds of Love"

Is this all true, or do you get to put down whatever you want to because
you're the music director?  At WMBR, the music director is part of the
underground rock 'n roll croud, so the lists that WMBR sends off are all
underground rock 'n roll, and it doesn't reflect any of the other stuff
that is done like classical or jazz or folk, etc.  Of course, if the
charts were biased the way I wanted them to be, I probably wouldn't mind
in the least.  The croud I was in, the late nite progressive/ art/
unusual pop/ avant-guarde/ weird/ music croud recently croaked,
unfortunately, and there aren't that many people left at WMBR doing
this.

> From: Laura Frank Clifford <lcliffor@bbnccm.ARPA>

> But just think of all the "collectibles" you've gathered over the
> years! (Kate's "Kick Inside" as a 'best buy' album??)

Was it really?  I've only known about Kate Bush for two years....  "The
Dreaming" made her well enough known in the U.S. that none of her albums
were discounted or anything when I started buying her stuff.

> From:	Rob Preston	<ihnp4!hound!hejira   -- AT&T Bell Labs>

Regarding Joni Mitchel...

> You're insulting the artist who, through her work, propelled Judy
> Collins and Crosby Stills Nash & Young to fame in the '60s and who was
> recognized by jazz great Charles Mingus....

Well, I really can't see that saying Kate Bush and Suzanne Vega are
better than someone is an insult to that person.  (I mean it's nearly a
tautology in the DA frame of reference.)  And it's just my opinion (even
if my opinion if always right!).  I certainly wouldn't deny that Joni
Mitchel is an excellent artist.  It just annoys when when someone says
KB or SV is "the next JM", because it makes KB and SV sound derivative.
Also, since they don't seem that similar in musical style, it might
scare away people like me who aren't so wild about what they've heard of
JM.  And I'm not convinced that your typical JM fan would necessarily be
thrilled by "The Dreaming".  Seems much more likely that a Peter Gabriel
fan would be a potential Kate Bush fan.  (And indeed I've rarely met a
PG fan who didn't like Kate Bush upon being exposed to her -- many even
end up liking her much more -- like me.)

> From: valerie%sdcc13@SDCSVAX.ARPA (Valerie Polichar)

Regarding the song "The Kick Inside":

> Doug, where do you find in the lyrics that she is /poisoning/ herself?
> I must be dense... I didn't think she specified the manner of
> suicide...

Isn't that how girls in old classic novels always killed themselves?
Besides, from the tone of the song it seems like she's doing herself in
in a relatively peaceful and non-messy way.  Also, in the video she just
dies at the end, as if she has poisoned herself -- there's no blood or
anything.

> From:	Bill Hsu

> Some love-hounders have mentioned owning Kate Bush sheet music.  How
> can I get some (besides stealing it from you guys)? I would love to
> see how Kate works some of her music.

You can order lots of sheet music from Break-Through (if they have any
left).  Also there is a mail order record store called The Intergalactic
Garage which specializes in KB stuff.  They are not overly cheap though.

Regarding Hawkwind:

> From: Andy Cobley

> Doug mentioned that they like to play their synths using the
> knobs and not the keyboards, well although partly true it is not the
> whole story....

Yeah, I was a little sleepy when I said that.  They certainly use
keyboards and often have lots of strange synthesizer stuff going on, but
what's often really distinctive is their use of the sound of those old
oscillator type synths with knobs.

Also Nik Turner's wonderful saxophone playing.

			"Time we left this world today"

			 Doug