Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: hsut@purdue-ecn.ARPA (Tsun-Yuk Hsu)
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 85 14:14:58 EST

Really-from: Bill Hsu	(hsut@purdue.ARPA)

	Since not many people have seen this album (but I don't think
it's an import...) this review might be worth posting...

	The Unasked-for Review of VISTAMIX by Bill Nelson

	First the preliminaries: according my trusty New Trouser Press
Record Guide, Vistamix is a re-issue of Bill Nelson's earlier album
Chimera with a few extra tracks added. Vistamix has a neat cover with
a half-invisible face (reminds me of my migraine attacks :-)) and some
really interesting stills from Nelson's Flaming Desire video on the
back. Has anyone seen Bill Nelson's videos or films? The pictures on
the album have some neat surreal images with an atmospheric film noir
feel...

	I really enjoyed Vistamix. Most of the songs are danceable with
a rather repetitive beat which changes in subtle ways (the only
annoying thing about the album is a slight overuse at times of that beat.)
The overall sound is extremely busy with lots of neat little riffs
in the background, rather like the Remain In Light-era Talking Heads.
Mick Karn from the group Japan plays bass on some of the songs, and
the drummer from Yellow Magic Orchestra also makes contributions.
Bill Nelson's lyrics resemble occasionally David Byrne's from Speaking
In Tongues --- they're barely coherent and present images rather than
a sustained narrative. Nelson mostly chants his lyrics (few extended
vocal lines a la Kate Bush here) with some unsettling falsetto,
resembling in places the Eno-era Bowie.

	There are some superb dance songs with intelligent lyrics on
this album. (Tho how you can dance around and ponder the cryptic lyrics
at the same time is beyond me...) Flaming Desire is a catchy piece
about (what else?) lust/desire. Empire of the Senses is a call to
open up one's perceptions to new (artistic) experiences. Everyday
Feels Like Another New Drug (love that title!) recalls the Bowie of
Lodger and Scary Monsters in the vocals and pounding beat. The songs
on side 2 are more varied; Nelson even subdues the dance beat for
a little to produce Tender is the Night, a relatively gentle quasi-
love song. Do You Dream In Colour? has some acid remarks about "video
junkies". Here's a sample of Nelson's lyrics:

	Music in the ice-box
	Laughter in the dark
	Echoes in the silence
	Waiting for the spark
	Hold me while I'm naked
	Catch me if you can
	Suicide statements are the measure of the man

	The strongest song on the album is probably Glow World, a
lyrically brilliant piece with intense images of desire and physical
love ("Your jewels are the stars tonight" recalls Baudelaire to me...)

	A rewarding album; I'll certainly try to play some Bill Nelson
at parties... :-) :-)

					Bill (not Nelson) Hsu