Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

DJ flame-back

From: Peter Stokes <stokes%cmc.cdn%ubc.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 85 07:50:06 pst
Subject: DJ flame-back
Mmdf-Warning: Parse error in original version of preceding line at CSNET-RELAY.ARPA

OK

I agree that going to parties/nightclubs/events can be a drag when the
DJ plays nothing but todays top 40 and last weeks top 40.  I have been
to clubs numerous times and disliked certain selections because it was
the 19,456 time I heard the song.

BUT

I know what its like to be a DJ/VJ.  You really don't have much choice!
The majority of clubs are out to entertain the maiximum number of people
and satisfy the majority music-wise.  Look at it this way:  You are
behind the turntables, its 10:30, the dance floor is packed and the place
is full.  Chances are you are playing the EP version of some Top 40
hit.  If you were to play something unknown, different, or experimental
the dance floor would clear and the club manger would be in the sound
booth fuming.  The only time you should veer off the top 40 track is
before the place fills (before 9:00) and occasionally during the program.
If your not playing a Top 40 hit, then you'd better be playing a past
top 40 hit.  Otherwise you are probably playing one from the "special songs"
category such as the bird dance or time warp or curly shuffle or shout
by otis reddng or the bunny hop or a twist etc...

SO

although I agree the nightclub/top40/EPversion/Madonna/DeadOrAlive
scene can be sickening to the music lover... the nightclub scene is
not the place to go to listen to the music seriously.  You will find
the clubs who are not caught-up in the top 40 stuff are more of a sit
down a shoot the s**t than dance type.

AND

that's about it.  flame-back off.

peter  (i've done medium market AM radio, mobile DJ, and currently
        nightclub DJ/VJ)

    "we're not here to entertain people, we're here to make money"