Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Some articles from Newspapers

From: nessus (Doug Alan)
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 85 06:25:18 est
Subject: Re: Some articles from Newspapers

> Harder and more rythmically positive than the early stuff - but still
> with that haunting, ethereal quality that elevates La Bush above the
> chart hoi poloi.

Hmmmm.  Why doesn't the guy just advertise that he never bothered to
listen to "The Dreaming"?

> The only sour note is slipping in the 12-inch version of "Running" as
> a closer.(??) Cheap short that...

Geez.  They throw it on the cassette as an extra to fill up the extra
time on side 1, because "The Ninth Wave" is longer than "Hounds of
Love", and the guy complains.  Would he have just preferred silence?

> Then over to side two for the more experimental, and the less
> sucessful...

I've seen more than a dozen reviews for HoL, and all but one (or maybe
two) were rave 5 star reviews.  Unfortunately many of the reviews said
that the A-side is better than the B-side.  Also, many of the reviews
said that though the music is great, Kate's lyrics are one_of(daft,
hippy dippy, pretentious, vague, etc.).  I hope Kate doesn't believe any
of this!  I think she did believe some of the bad stuff that was written
about "The Dreaming" (and in England there was *lots* of bad stuff
written about it -- one paper, I believe, called it the worst album of
the year, etc.).

> But as a whole its just a touch too complex and clever-dick to stand
> close inspection.

How can something be too complex to stand close inspection?  Was this
guy's brain installed when he wrote this?

			-Doug