Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Yes, Halloween (Long and Longer)

From: Tim Wicinski <wicinski@nrl-css.ARPA>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 85 17:12:13 est
Subject: Yes, Halloween (Long and Longer)

So it's Halloween isn't it??  Isn't this the day you are suppossed to
be cruising the town looking for like anything you are not and think
its neat??  I guess it is.  I had great plans for staying at home,
doing illegal substances and being anti-social while listening to No
Trend and scaring kids, but someone I used to work with in Florida was
in town and wanted to go "do something".  For some reason, I said "what
the fuck? at least I can wierd people out on the subway." So, I head
for downtown, psyching my self up, knowning this guys idea of fun
will NOT going to see Big Black at D.C. Space.  I arrive on the scene,
and this guys wants to cruise down Wisconsin Ave. looking at people. In
case you have never existed in Wasington DC, I will fill you in. On
Halloween night the city close off Wisconsin Ave. so thousands of
teenagers dressed to the hilt, spending every last penny their parents
had, so they can go downtown and pretend to be the coolest people in DC.
I knew I was in the wrong place when I walked off the subway and saw
the group of girls dressed like Madonna giggling their little heads
off. Wait - oh, they're not dressed up they say, they wear these clothes to
school (High School, Hoffmann) every day.

To get on with the tale, we proceeded to walk up and down this street
for 3 hours watching these people, young and old, walking up and down
the street also. The only difference is they are dressed up.  This guy
wants to stop in this trend-o store called Commander Salamander. It is
filled with more teenagers and we have to wait in line.  Wow, we get in
and look at the so-called trendy clothes which cost much more money
than I've ever spent on clothes in my life (ie, jackets starting at
50.00).  No, I dont buy anything. Yes, we walk some more.  I get talked
into going into a club right on Wisconsin Ave. Talk about Top-40 !!
Bill, man you are right !! These DJ's are slimes !! We asked for any
song dealing with Halloween (we were looking for the Dream Syndicate of
the same name, or Bauhaus, anything other than Night Ranger).  We get
"Running with the Devil" by David Lee Screamer and friends.  I escaped
by taking the subway, it stops at 1200, so I was able to excuse myself
by 1100.  What an experience! ! awthiskindofshitmakesmewanttopuke.

No, I didn't wear a costume (I told people I was dressed up like
Bob Mould. Their reply: "Who ???"). No, I saw no one dressed like Kate Bush.
No, I didn't get to see Big Black. Yes, I spent many dollars getting ripped
off at these so-called clubs. No, this guy said nothing worthwhile. No,
I doubt I'll go back.

This article was especyially painful. I was writing this and my roomate's
copy of The Kick Inside starting skipping on "Feel It". Now, that really
pisses me off !!

tim