Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: You're saying this just to annoy me, aren't you?

From: allegra!ihnp4!jerpc.PE.UUCP
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 85 04:32:59 est
Subject: Re: You're saying this just to annoy me, aren't you?

> Arrrghhh!  "Mother Stands For Comfort" is equal to the best song ever
> written!  It's one of the most beautiful, sad, and eerie songs I've ever
> heard.  Eberhard Weber's bass playing on this song is enough to convince
> me that he's the best bass player there ever was.  The rhythm provided
> by breaking plates, etc. is a revelation, and Kate's Fairlight work on
> this song is perfection incarnate.  "Under Ice" is also awesomely good
> and wonderfully scary.  Fortunately, Yes makes music for people like....
> Oh, I'm sorry....

No it's not!  The major problem with "Under Ice", however, is
not that anything is wrong with it musically, it's must that
it's irritating to listen to; I try to avoid it because, as I
said, it provokes a tense mood which keeps me awake at night.

It's not breaking plates in "Mother Stands for Comfort," is it?
Why do you think that?  I thought it was about adolescent-types
living in a "golden ghetto," who go around with their friends
making trouble.  Many of the people I went to school with were
from *the* Golden Ghetto, Sandy Springs, GA, and they are who
the song makes me think of... people who were major
troublemakers, but who avoided any prosecution due to the
influence of their affluent parents...

However, that song, like "Under Ice," is just unsettling to me
somehow.

(Presently as I am writing this I am listening to the Piltdown
Man singing on "Tubular Bells".  Now, *that* is good music :-).)